You are not logged in.

pass1

Monday, October 22nd 2018, 7:16pm

Rainbird is correct in asking you for for the service line size, type and length. I don't think you
understand that the service line generally is the line that goes from the street to the meter
input side. This is all necessary in design calculations.Also, you can measure your static at a hose bib.
Not necessary to make special meter modifications to do this. Why a 1" meter. What do you expect your
flow to be?

RichMoney

Tuesday, October 23rd 2018, 2:27pm

You can get the PSI off of your house, just attach a pressure gauge to your hose bib. All you will need is a 3/4 GHT (Garden hose Thread) female adapter to 3/4 FPT (Female Pipe Thread).

Then a reducer from 3/4 to 1/4, most pressure gauges are 1/4.

Rainbird should be able to calculate the flow based on PSI and service size. For example, you know you have 45 psi and the service is 1"

I do not remember the exact calculation, but I would guess somewhere around 20 GPM.

Tuesday, October 23rd 2018, 6:02pm

As far as why a 1" meter this is the size the gentleman from the water dept told me will be installed. I double checked rain birds website and service line is the line from the meter to the home. This is where Im at a dead end because Im installing a new meter that wont have a line as of yet.

Y'all made a good point about it being a higher GPM and possibly PSI at the meter itself. Which may lead to inaccurate results for rain bird. But if I go with GPM, PSI, and service line type and size from existing meter to my home that may be inaccurate too for this design.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 24th 2018, 9:15am

If you are feeding a sprinkler system directly from a curbside water meter, you do not really have a service line, so far as a sprinkler system is concerned.

For the parts of the US where all water meters are in curbside pits, and a sprinkler system will be supplied from the house plumbing, then the water line from the house back to the meter near the street becomes the service line that needs to be described. For a house that is very far from the street, it may be fed from a service line that is larger than the size of the water meter, because oversizing the line reduces pressure loss.

If you want to beat this line of thought to death, then you would want to know just how far from your curb is the water main. To that distance, add the distance from the curb to your meter pit, and you now have the distance from the water main to your sprinkler system supply point.

And once more, this is all a waste of mental energy, when it is within your power to perform a "bucket test" after the new meter is put into service.

Wednesday, October 24th 2018, 5:53pm

lol...I can understand your point of view coming from someone who knows what they're doing. Y'all have been a big help and I truly appreciate it.

I called Rain Bird again today, and they told me to process my design they need the GPM, PSI, and service line size and type. Before I hung up the phone I mentioned again that Ill have a new meter installed and there is no service line going to the home. They said we can not process your design until there is one. I guess Ill just go with 1" sch 40 PVC for the main line and tell them that.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, October 26th 2018, 9:16am

You could simply give them the results of your bucket test, and see if that's enough. Or, you could make up an imaginary supply of a 3/4-inch meter fed by 30 feet of 3/4-inch copper tubing. Whatever their process will make of a theoretical smaller supply should work for what you eventually have installed.

Friday, November 9th 2018, 7:03pm

Ill update this once I actually get the GPM and PSI. I got the new meter installed. My plan is to have a plumber come and start the main line (one inch sch 40 PVC - from my research this is standard size for my meter) from the meter and run it about 10 foot out. Then Ill put on a bushing and nipple and attach a PSI gauge. Also Ill do my bucket test.

I feel more comfortable having a plumber do the point on connection then me do the remainder when that time comes.