You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, October 24th 2018, 8:21am

Last Sprinkler Zone always on

Just moved into a new house and trying to understand everything. I think I have 8 zones (although there is a diagram that says 9 zones).

I attached the control box that shows 8 wires connect to zones. So, I will say zone 8 is constantly on ( i have to turn the main water valve off to shut it down). I tried disconnecting the Zone 8 and 7 wire and it still would operate.

So, lets go to the valve boxes. I see 3 PVC pips, but can only find 2 valve boxes.

CONTROL BOX and BACKWASH AND 2 VALVE BOXES:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144803636@N02/shares/4w172H

What's my next step? Replace Solenoids or Clean Master Control Valve diaphragm?

This post has been edited 7 times, last edit by "rondo4700" (Oct 24th 2018, 8:43am)

mrfixit

Wednesday, October 24th 2018, 12:51pm

Ok, you don't have a master valve.
If all the wires are hooked up to valves then yes you're right, you have 8 valves.
On the model valve I see in the picture the diaphragm can come apart. It's all plastic holding it together and I've see it break apart.
You have a very old Hardie timer. Try unplugging the timer to see if it shuts off. You might want to replace the backup battery first so you don't lose any programming. Look on the back of the faceplate for the battery door. If it shuts off the timer's bad.
I don't know how you've determined it's valve number 8 that's stuck on. There should be 8 valves somewhere. Possibly in 8 individual boxes. You need to find them and figure which one is stuck on. Then replace, repair or adjust the solenoid. Maybe turn the flow control down just a tad.

Wednesday, October 24th 2018, 8:24pm

OK.

another question..

There are 3 PVC pipes going underground. 2 are going to valve boxes ( 1 box has a diaphragm
valve the other box looks like there are 2 selenoid valves inside)

1. the PVC pipe going underground should lead to another valve box (that controls 5 zones)?

https://flic.kr/p/2coziTg

mrfixit

Thursday, October 25th 2018, 2:42am

So how did you determine that one valve is a diaphragm valve and the other two are solenoid valves?

Yep that other pipe goes to more valves. Trace the wires to the valves. Rent or hire a wire locator if you can't find the valves on your own. Look around.

Thursday, October 25th 2018, 7:57am

ok. Let me trace those wires.. i have an acre of land.. so, it may take a while. will keep you posted.

Thanks..

Rate this thread