You are not logged in.

Saturday, August 25th 2018, 9:20pm

voltage question regarding Richdel R711A

This control valve is rated for 24V. My original power pack burnt out. I have two others to choose from. I used a 16VAC which measures at 17.25VAC, and everything worked fine for about a year. Now, I find it apparently doesn't open the valve enough to allow the water to reach the higher emitters. I can switch this to a 24VAC which measures at 29.25VAC, but I fear that will exceed the 24V this controller is rated for. Is this a power issue or a diaphragm issue or something else? If I open the vacuum breaker, I get plenty of pressure to reach the higher emitters. What are your thoughts on this?

mrfixit

Saturday, August 25th 2018, 11:38pm

A new diaphragm will probably get it working again.
You want the diaphragm for a 205 valve.

Your valve is very old. Maybe buy a complete 205 and swap out all the parts.

Or, just replace the whole valve.

As far as fiddling around with different voltage transformers. That's probably not a good idea.

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 7:06am

I'd like to know how the diaphragm change might affect the difference between having the controller turned on electrically or as a result of the vacuum breaker. Wouldn't both do the same thing? Would increasing the voltage possibly burn out the switch? I like understanding the mechanics involved rather than just hearing suggestions. Thank you for your help.

mrfixit

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 7:31am

Sorry, I've used up my limited knowledge of jerry rigging a controller with the wrong transformer.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 27th 2018, 7:00am

Use the 24VAC transformer, and don't worry about its open-circuit voltage that you measured.

Monday, August 27th 2018, 9:56am

Thank you. I hope this fixes the problem.

Monday, August 27th 2018, 11:09am

I switched transformers, and nothing has changed. I checked my 10K gallon tank level [gravity feed], and it is just over 1/2 full [drought conditions in Southern California]. Since I get water to the emitters when I break the vacuum, are we talking about a diaphragm issue, or could it be another problem?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 28th 2018, 8:09am

You need either a diaphragm (by far the most likely solution) or a complete guts swap with a new 205F valve.

Rate this thread