You are not logged in.

Pikvas19

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 12:06am

Zone 2 will not shut off - even after replacing the controller

I have a 6 zone orbit sprinkler system. Everything was working great until one of the sprinkler heads from zone 1 needed to be replaced after hitting it with the lawn mower. Then when I did a manually run to test the sprinkler, zone 1 worked fine, but when zone 2 came on it would not go off, even turning off the system, unplugging the system. I had to turn the water off at the main water source. I replaced the valve with a new one, same problem. I even returned the valve for another new one, thinking I purchased a defective one. I switched the wires on the controller from zone 1 & zone 2 and still the same problem. Old zone 1 worked good in the zone 2 wire slot & the old zone 2 stayed on in the zone 1 wire slot. So it is not the controller box. I replaced the wires leading from the faulty zone to the valve and it still stayed on when I turned the water on. I just can't figure out what changing a sprinkler head in zone 1 would have done to zone 2 valve to keep the water running. Zone 1, 3, 4, 5 & 6 all work great.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Pikvas19" (Aug 26th 2018, 10:41pm)

mrfixit

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 12:48am

It's just a fluke. Changing the sprinkler has nothing to do with it.
There's something wrong with valve 2. It's not the controller or the wiring.

Pikvas19

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 10:38pm

It's just a fluke. Changing the sprinkler has nothing to do with it.
There's something wrong with valve 2. It's not the controller or the wiring.
Sorry - I meant valve when I said I changed the controller. I will edit my post. I changed the valve with two different new valves and still have the same problem - even when I change the wires from zone 1 and zone 2.

mrfixit

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 11:49pm

Did you install the new valve backwards? Is the solenoid snug clockwise?
What's the model of the valve?

Pikvas19

Monday, August 27th 2018, 2:25pm

Did you install the new valve backwards? Is the solenoid snug clockwise?
What's the model of the valve?
It is an Orbit 57623 anti-siphon, same as the original one. And, yes, I doubled check and it is set in the right setup. As I was saying before. The original one worked perfect up to the time we replaced the sprinkler head on zone 1. I know you say that is a fluke - it doesn't have anything to do with the problem with one 2. But it just seems odd that the original valve quit working at that time and we have replaced it with 2 new valves that act the same way. Will not shut off - no matter what zone I put the wires into. And all other valves work when I put their wires in the zone 2 controller slot. Kind of at a lost now - except to just plug off that line and run more sprinklers off of zone 1. Thanks

mrfixit

Monday, August 27th 2018, 3:13pm

Maybe you're working on the wrong valve. There's no reason it wouldn't turn off with a brand new valve if it's installed correctly and the solenoid is in the off position and there are no wires hooked up to it.