You are not logged in.

thatmowerguy

Friday, August 24th 2018, 1:49pm

TORO PRN Multistream Rotator Nozzles

Does anyone have any experience with these newer TORO PRN multi stream nozzles? I've been wanting to switch out my spray heads with these for a while but haven't made the jump yet. I was wondering if there is any feedback out there from anyone who has tried these, length of time, durability, pros / cons, just some hands on experience.

I really liked the 300 series multi streams, although expensive and a little quirky, they did a very nice efficient job and were very nice to watch. I did not have much trouble with them at all. They added art to a rather dull task, to bad they are not made anymore or I'd have a yard full of them!

Thanks in advance!!!

mrfixit

Friday, August 24th 2018, 2:14pm

I have minimal experience with those. I did install some at a couple of yards probably 6 years ago. Back when the nozzle was made by Irritrol. It still looks the same though. I have about 6 in my yard. That's my experience.
Having to use their adjusting tool is a little annoying but they stay adjusted.

I've had to replace 4 because they stopped turning. All brands of rotating nozzles do that though.

I have a big box full of those things. Like 600. I think I stopped installing them because 2 stopped turning within a month at the first house I used them at. That might have been a fluke because they've been working ever since. They seem to cover well.

I'm just such a huge fan of the older style Rainbird rotating nozzles that I just use those instead of the Irritrols.
Unfortunately Rainbird stopped making them in a fixed pattern. They're all adjustable's now.
I've been buying them on Ebay. They aren't really water efficient. That's why I love them. They put out some good water and green the place up. I'm more interested in a green yard than I am water conservation.

thatmowerguy

Friday, August 24th 2018, 3:20pm

I have minimal experience with those. I did install some at a couple of yards probably 6 years ago. Back when the nozzle was made by Irritrol. It still looks the same though. I have about 6 in my yard. That's my experience.
Having to use their adjusting tool is a little annoying but they stay adjusted.

I've had to replace 4 because they stopped turning. All brands of rotating nozzles do that though.

I have a big box full of those things. Like 600. I think I stopped installing them because 2 stopped turning within a month at the first house I used them at. That might have been a fluke because they've been working ever since. They seem to cover well.

I'm just such a huge fan of the older style Rainbird rotating nozzles that I just use those instead of the Irritrols.
Unfortunately Rainbird stopped making them in a fixed pattern. They're all adjustable's now.
I've been buying them on Ebay. They aren't really water efficient. That's why I love them. They put out some good water and green the place up. I'm more interested in a green yard than I am water conservation.
Specifically to which rotating Rainbird nozzles are you referring to as the older ones? I am NOT interested in conserving water that I pay for either and we are already on a never to end mandatory city odd even outdoor watering schedule...

At my current house I have an 1980's Weathermatic 4 zone system that had the old gravity drop brass heads spaced at 20 ft. Granted they are fairly rugged and none were necessarily broken, just 5 minuets of watering with them and you had run off everywhere. Most didn't seal very good and looked like they were cracked under ground when on because of this. Also if mowing low, you had to walk the yard and step on them not to not hit them with the mower. So when at Lowes last year I found, on clearance, K-Rain double pop rotators for like $.94 each and I went crazy and bought them out. So I got online and ordered 4" bodies and retrofitted the brass heads. However after installing them I found out why they were clearanced. They were junk, seemingly every time I mowed afterwards when the sprinklers came on I would find one with the top blown off and others would be spinning so fast they created mist. Their edge cut off lines were horrible at best and some would have to be re-adjusted constantly. Not to mention increasing the watering times to almost an hour twice a day every other day to keep the grass green. After this I ordered 35 of the Hunter adjustable arc spray nozzles rated at 17' and changed out the K-Rain rotators.
Right now I'm satisfied with what I have but would like to see the multistreams like the old toro 300s again.

At parents previous house I used the older Toro 300 series to replace a zone of 5 very annoyingly loud Rainbird R-50's that were starting to randomly flake out and not move, the 300's were great and they like watching them. The 2 backyard zones were the old dark green Rainbird POP-A-WAY brass impacts which had a much more soothing sound to them than the rapid clicking from the R50's. I kind of miss those too...

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "thatmowerguy" (Aug 24th 2018, 3:31pm)

mrfixit

Friday, August 24th 2018, 10:35pm

The fixed patterns. 90-180-fulls, etc.
Click on me
Me too
The only ones they sell now are adjustable arc's
You could look at Youtube videos to see them work.
Keep in mind they max out at 24 feet.

Rate this thread