You are not logged in.

tgamen

Thursday, July 12th 2018, 12:17pm

Wiring has become disconnected

New to this forum, new to this house, new to automated (in this case Rain Bird) sprinkler systems. Hopefully this is a simple question.

Once we (the backflow tester and I) got the system up and running, one of the nine zones is not working. Simplest guess as to why: two wires in the valve box (only one valve in this "stand alone" box) have become disconnected. Manual operation of the valve is fine, but I'd like to be 'nine for nine.'

Controller is a Rain Bird ESP-Me "enhanced modular controller."

Photo shows the problem wires. Any education you can provide as to getting these two connected correctly would be most appreciated.

from tiny pics:

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "tgamen" (Jul 16th 2018, 12:01pm)

mrfixit

Thursday, July 12th 2018, 12:59pm

Go to www.tinypic.com, upload your pic there then cut and paste the "forum" code to your post.

tgamen

Sunday, July 29th 2018, 7:08pm

picture has now been included. thanks for the instruction.

mrfixit

Sunday, July 29th 2018, 7:21pm

The wire at the top is the common wire. That's going to be hooked up no matter what. You can use either wire on the solenoid. It doesn't make a difference.
I'm assuming that colored wire at the bottom is the hot wire. Don't worry, you wont get electrocuted. It's only 24 volts when power is supplied to it. Hook that one up to the other wire and see what happens.
That wire looks red to me. You can look at the controller and see what number terminal has a red wire hooked up to it. There might be more than one but you'll figure it out.
The wires might change colors from the timer to the valve but usually not.
-----
Have you tried operating the valve by turning the solenoid counter clockwise to see where it goes? Is it possible it's abandoned? Also they may have turned the flow control off. It's the thing right in the middle that looks like you can turn it with a screwdriver. Make sure that's not all the way closed/clockwise.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Jul 30th 2018, 1:52am)

Rate this thread