You are not logged in.

Speedyz

Sunday, July 22nd 2018, 8:57am

Brown water in house after system runs

I know this topic has been brought up on the forum here twice before, unfortunately there did not seem to be any resolutions - so I thought I would bring up the issue again for some help. Here is my issue - I am on municipal water and after running my sprinkler system I have brown /discolored water in the house for about 30-45 seconds out of a single faucet running fully open before the brown water clears out. I have noticed that if I only run one zone and shut it off the issue does not occur - it only seems to appear when there is a switch from one zone to the next. I have also tried running the test between different zones (1-2 and 3-4) and the problem still exists - in my head this eliminates it being zone specific - however at this point I am so confused by all of this I am at a loss. One other item to note is that I have a three step water filtration system in the house - the line out to the irrigation systenm T's off before the filtration system and after the T the irrigation line does have a check valve on it (newly replaced).
Has anyone experienced this and found a fix - two plumbers and the water superintendent have been here to look at the issue and no resolution so far. I am about to put the irrigation system on a well to avoid further contact with my drinking water however this seems like a $5k band-aid to my problem
Appreciate any help you all can provide

Lars

Sunday, July 22nd 2018, 9:44am

Hmmm,,
well, it could be any number of things
just off the top of head in no particular order;
any iron pipes between your house and the street?
does this happen while the system is running?
is there a significant change in the water temp comming from the street when the system turns on?
does this happen if turn on alot of appliances at the same time in the house?
do any pipes shake or vibrate when the systems turns on/runs?
when the system is running, does water psi notibly drop in the house?

Speedyz

Sunday, July 22nd 2018, 7:27pm

Thanks for the reply -
1. There is no iron between the street and house. Black plastic pipe of some sort
2. The water discoloration does not happen while the system is running
3. Water temp - don't have a way of checking this just yet
4. I have tried turning on multiple faucets and flushing toilets at the same time and noticed very minor discoloration. At the time I did this test and turned on an outside spicket the water discoloration was severe (brownish) after running the sprinkler. I guess what I am trying to say is that after running the sprinkler system the discoloration was very niticible, when turning on multiple faucets and testing the water the discoloration was very minimal
5. No vibration or shaking
6. Water psi when nothing is running is 62. When the system runs the pressure drops and Holds at 55. When the system changes zones the pressure drops to about 46 then returns to 55 after the previous zone turns off
Thanks agin for the reply

Rate this thread