You are not logged in.

Saturday, June 16th 2018, 6:57pm

Replacement Nightmare - Kindly Please Help

Bought older house, replacing entire non functioning sprinkler system.

Scenario:
1. Purchased an Orbit 4-system Controller, 18g/5 Sprinkler Wire, & 2 new Valves from Home Depot.
2, From the Valves, connected 1 each Solenoid wire from each valve to the Common wire (in this case, white).
3. From the Valves, connected the remaining wire from each Solenoid to the Red wire (Zone 1), Green wire (Zone 2).
4. All wire connections at the Valves using Waterproof Twist Connectors
5. At the Controller, connected the White wire to COM, the Red wire to (1), and Green wire to (2)
6. Verified all connections, and powered up Controller, set up date/time, etc.

At this point, i should be able to go into Manual Mode, and electrically start one of the Valves, however this did not happen. I measured voltage from the power source, but nothing from the zone terminals.

Returned the Controller at HD and installed a replacement, with the same results.

Any good suggestions would be appreciated, as I only have a couple more days before I have to hit the road for work.

Thanks

mrfixit

Saturday, June 16th 2018, 7:25pm

Did you turn the water back on?
I had an emergency call on Thanksgiving one time. They guy had just repaired a pipe and had no water.
I walked up to the valve. Turn turn. Ok, I'm done.
Seen it a few times.
---
Ok I read your post again. You're saying you have no power? Did you check the outlet where the timer's plugged in?
Does the controller need to be reset?

Did you use a staple gun to tack the wire? I've put the staple through the bundle of wire without knowing it then that shorted out the timer because the common and a zone wire were touching.

What happens if you remove the wires from the controller, do you have power at the terminals now? If you don't have a voltmeter you could use a solenoid and touch the wires to the controller.

Maybe switch wires. You have two spares.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Jun 16th 2018, 7:36pm)

Saturday, June 16th 2018, 8:54pm

Replacement Nightmare

Controller was replaced twice, new wire installed, new valves installed.
Main water supply on.

The problem is the controller will not start the valves electrically, which is its only purpose.

mrfixit

Saturday, June 16th 2018, 9:54pm

You've obviously done something wrong. I'd make suggestions but I don't wanna. Some timers turn off the valves too.

Saturday, June 16th 2018, 9:58pm

Replacement Nightmare

Obviously there is something wrong, however, Im certain I have the system wired properly.
I may not have the controller function down, or the valves set the right way.
What I do know is there is 24V power going in to the controller, but no power measured coming out via the connection screw/terminals

Saturday, June 16th 2018, 11:32pm

Replacement Nightmare - Solved

Issue resolvedSeems the controller was not programmed the right way.

Rate this thread