You are not logged in.

mrfixit

Thursday, June 7th 2018, 10:51pm

Ok, today just happened to coincide with your post.

I had to rebuild a 100 series valve and one of the jobs had some 300 series that I installed probably 10 years ago.

The old 300 valve adapters also said series 100 on them. So at the next house I rebuilt a 300 valve using the bonnet off of a 100 valve. I had the bonnets off of a brand new 300 and a brand new 100 side by side in my hands and they were identical. Both said series 100 on them. Only the metal rod was longer on the 300 so I replaced that with the original one from the valve I was rebuilding. Of course I needed a new double beaded diaphragm so it would be compatible with the bonnet. It did the job.
If anybody does it this way, I recommend you get longer screws for the bonnet. Like 1/4". I had some on my truck.

So no worries about the bonnet saying series 100 on them. That's just Rainbird saving money.

I have a new trick in my arsenal now. It's all your fault.

geobrick

Friday, June 8th 2018, 12:56pm

Interesting. Does your new trick save you on cost or does it just help to know they're interchangeable?

To me the website image of the 100 Series looks different around the shaft area. 1) the stem on the 100 Series seems to be brass and 2) the shaft on the 100 Series image has reinforcing "ribs" (not sure what else to call them) going halfway up the shaft but the 300 Series is just a cylinder at that point. Do you notice that on the website too? Do the 100 Series you have access to look like the website images? Maybe you can post a photo of the tops side by side. I don't know why I'm so fascinated by this.

Also, when you say "Only the metal rod was longer on the 300", do you mean the thin clean out rod? And... why is it called a cleanout rod? What is it cleaning out?

mrfixit

Friday, June 8th 2018, 1:41pm

I'm talking about the metering rod. The stainless steel rod.

The picture you're looking at with the brass is a bigger valve than a 1". The two bonnets I had were identical. Both plastic.
Actually I don't have a clue which pictures you're looking at.

Yes it's cheaper but I the knowledge is more valuable to me. I'm going to see if that diaphragm will work as well. I doubt it will but again, who knows.

geobrick

Friday, June 8th 2018, 5:15pm

The picture I was looking at is here on the Irritrol website but I see what you mean. The picture is likely a bigger valve. I looked at the "models and dimensions" section below the image and saw the 1" version is the smallest of the 100 Series so the picture is likely one of the bigger models.

Issue solved.

Rate this thread