You are not logged in.

ej512

Friday, June 1st 2018, 4:58pm

Hardie 205SP Solenoid Valve won't turn on

I have a Hardie 205SP solenoid value that will not turn on. I can run the zone manually by opening the manual bypass. However I cannot get the value to turn on with the controller. Here is what I have checked and tried so far:
1. I have replaced the diaphragm. Again, I can turn the zone on manually with the bypass value and the zone runs with plenty of pressure.
2. I have checked the voltage at the solenoid coil, it reads 28VAC when the coil is connected and I removed the coil and see the plunder detracting.
3. I have checks the ports to and from the plunger to make sure they are clean and open. Removing the coil will even open the valve and run the zone.

It seems to me the valve is working properly and that I have replaced the diaphragm correctly.
The coil/plunger seems to operate properly also, as I can see the plunger pull up when the coil is out of the valve.

Is it possible there is a wiring issue that the plunger is not pulling up when it's in the value under water pressure? I have not checked the current flow in this line.

Any help would be greatly appreciative, as I'm out of ideas at this point.

mrfixit

Friday, June 1st 2018, 6:47pm

Take the valve back apart and see if the nipple on the bonnet is pinched. It's easy to do with that valve. Or if the bonnet's turned just a tad so it's not lined up straight that'll do it too.
Can you see holes in the body of the valve where the screws went into the wrong place?
The newer solenoid wont work on an old hardy. You need the older style solenoid with the smaller plunger. I tossed that in there in case you changed it.

ej512

Monday, June 4th 2018, 9:43am

Okay, thanks for the info.
I did change the solenoid, so I will replace the old one first.
I had the valve apart several times. I was as careful as possible to insure the siphon hole of the gasket was lined up properly, it's not easy with the spring and all.

If putting the old solenoid back does not do it, I will take it apart again and make sure the diaphragm is on correctly. I will also check to ensure the siphon stem is not pinched.

If none of these works, I'll move on to replacing the entire valve.

Thanks again for your response.
-Ed

Rate this thread