You are not logged in.

CaneCutter77

Starting Member

Monday, May 21st 2018, 3:58pm

Design Question concerning Valves

HI,

New here and have a question. More for educational/curiosity reasons. First let me give you my setup. Bought a house a year ago with a RainBird underground system with 12 zones covering about 2 acres. 85 sprinkler heads - give or take. The water supply is from a well pump in our 3/4 acre pond. Good clean water - no issues there. So far I havent had much trouble. I had to fix one broken pipe last week on a valve that was hidden in the yard. No idea it was there till it broke. Which leads me to my question - Why are the valves scattered all over the property underground?!? The controller, breaker for the pump, and main pressure line are all housed in their own 5x5 shed by the house. Why in the world would they not build a manifold with all the valves in the shed? Now as it stands threes pressurized pipes and wiring all over the place leading up to each valve. Ive managed to find 8 of the 12. Is there a technical design requirement for this? It just doesnt make any sense to me why theyre buried all over the place. Thanks for any education on this..