You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

evolrocks13

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 16th 2018, 5:29pm

Hardie 700 series 2 inch valve leaking from under valve bonnet, around cylinder shaped breather piece

I have an issue I am hoping someone can help with. I have an old Hardie 700 series 2 inch valve that was not opening so I got the rebuild kit and changed the parts on the valve bonnet, changed the o rings and diaphragm and once I put it all back together it leaks from the edge where the small black cylinder shaped breather piece attaches to the valve bottom. I have checked for damage to the valve itself as well as the bonnet and there are no visible signs of damage. I have cleaned all the valve pieces and the valve, it still leaks. I even tried putting the old o rings back on to see if this stopped the leak (due to the fact it did not leak before I changed the internal o rings) and the valve still leaks from the one edge where the small black cylinder shaped piece plugs in to the valve bonnet and body. The valve leaks as soon as the water to the system is back on, every time I take it apart and try to solve the issue, it is still there. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mrfixit

Wednesday, May 16th 2018, 6:05pm

I've messed up the brass threaded part by over tightening it. The the brass part just spins and wont tighten and it leaked. I fixed the problem by putting a screw all the way through the hole and tightening with a nut.
If you have a pair of channel locks, put them on the valve to tighten it a bit to see if the leak stops.
The 700 series can be very frustrating. I had one last summer that took me 6 tries to get it on there right and I know what I'm doing. I taught myself a new trick but I don't remember what it was.
All I can suggest is try again and be very careful where the diaphragm goes.

Rate this thread