You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

vbx

Friday, March 23rd 2018, 9:48pm

Help! Landscaper disconnected these white wires. Where do they go?

So I wasn't home and the started mowing my lawn when the sprinklers kicked in. There isn't a shut-off valve so these guys messed with the wires. I saw them messing with it while driving looking at my phone app camera.

When I got home, I noticed these 2 white wires that were disconnected. Anyone have an idea to where they go? My first thought was they connect to each other but I don't want to mess anything up.

I texted my landscaper and also waiting for their response.

mrfixit

Saturday, March 24th 2018, 2:08am

They probably go to that bundle with the yellow cap. I wouldn't bet my life on it though.
Is there a white wire hooked up to the common terminal of the controller?

vbx

Saturday, March 24th 2018, 2:49am

They probably go to that bundle with the yellow cap. I wouldn't bet my life on it though.
Is there a white wire hooked up to the common terminal of the controller?
Yes. Two white wires hooked up to the common terminal.

mrfixit

Saturday, March 24th 2018, 3:57am

Hook them up to that bundle with the yellow cap and see what happens.

vbx

Saturday, March 24th 2018, 7:12pm

I won't burn anything if it's connected to the wrong wires?

The last "repair" guy I hired to connect a controller burned out my controller. (Never hire a guy off of craigslist!).

mrfixit

Saturday, March 24th 2018, 9:37pm

You know, I can't tell from here. It looks like one of those white wires is really red but just faded. Is one of the red wires in the bundle not hooked up to anything? If so, hook that white wire up to it. If it's indeed white. Or put it in under the yellow cap. You're not going to blow up. Maybe make sure your back up battery is new or write down your programming just in case it resets the controller.

vbx

Tuesday, March 27th 2018, 1:13pm

Would this help? 2 white wires connected to the same com port.

So if bundled these 2 white wires to the red wires under the yellow cap, I won't short it?

mrfixit

Tuesday, March 27th 2018, 1:24pm

Those wires are spliced somewhere to the big red wires but yes, those wires are supposed to be connected to the wires under the yellow cap.

vbx

Tuesday, March 27th 2018, 1:52pm

Those wires are spliced somewhere to the big red wires but yes, those wires are supposed to be connected to the wires under the yellow cap.
Great. It works now. Thanks

mrfixit

Wednesday, March 28th 2018, 2:48am

You're welcome! Was fairly simple.
You have to ask yourself why did they disconnect the wires?
Were the sprinklers running while they were there? Maybe the time needs to be adjusted. Or days. I've seen it many times where the sprinklers are running when a gardener shows up and they either disconnect a wire or turn off the water and forget to put it back when they leave.
Hopefully they didn't do it to make an easy buck repairing it. You never know. But I'd ask them why they did it.