You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Mike128

Monday, December 11th 2017, 7:50pm

Valve Locations

I recently saw a Irrigation Plan with Longitude and Latitude settings. I think this is a great idea, however, haven't got a clue if there is a specific app for this. Anyone out there that could help with this issue.
Thanks, Mike Scholven

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, December 12th 2017, 6:32am

Is there a reason that your valve placements would not be visible to the naked eye?

Mike128

Tuesday, December 12th 2017, 10:59pm

Is there a reason that your valve placements would not be visible to the naked eye?

We have to submit a plan of each Irrigation system and it would be great to put down Valve locations on the plan in there exact location. The grass in Texas ,( Floratam is used a lot now in Texas and it covers the boxes quite fast

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, December 13th 2017, 6:54am

It might be more practical to simply copy the old technique for documenting buried water well locations, which was to take measurements to the two nearest corners of the house, making a triangle that will allow anyone with a tape measure to pinpoint a valve box.

Another practical no-high-tech-required idea is to use larger valve boxes. While I realize it is Texas custom to put each valve into its own tiny round box, as opposed to systems with large rectangular boxes holding half a dozen valves, it might serve you well to use a certain large round box, originally made by Ametek, to contain one or two zone valves. While there are many similar boxes, the Ametek design allowed the placement of a 3-inch extension piece on the existing box, for when turf buildup finally threatens to completely bury old boxes.

JAIDC

Tuesday, December 26th 2017, 5:22pm

That is a bit of an overkill for most jobs. In 29 years of professional consulting experience, including large projects such as regional parks, parkways, etc. I have never seen it done. Some times there are some designers working for engineering firms that like to show off some skill that it is not common to others, and add it to the construction documents (plan).
The designer needs to keep the construction documents, including plans, simple and easy to read for everyone ... less is more.
Using some elements that are part of the hardscape as reference landmarks, and adding a dimension that is easy to read and understand works very well, and should not for a Land Surveyor to go out ad set the valve(s) location(s).