You are not logged in.

billydv1

Monday, October 23rd 2017, 4:18am

Solenoids keep burning out

We have an orchard, we are using k rain jar top pro series valves, drip irrigation runs 2 hrs a night, 3 times per week. Controllers are rainbird sst600i. Solenoids are burning out from time to time, im wondering if this is normal or if we have something else going on. We did not use grease caps for wire nut connections, could moisture in valve box cause current loss that would damage solenoids? Could AC unit of house be causing slight surges when it goes on that may be damaging solenoids? Could it be that krain solenoids are junk? Voltage at solenoids seems to be fine, approximately 26

BackflowInspector

Supreme Member

Monday, October 23rd 2017, 7:19am

Humble 2 Cents worth.

KRain Is considered Home Owner/Discount or off Professional brand.

Having Said that, If I Were Lucky enough to have an orchard of any Kind, I would use a Professional Brand like Hunter or Rainbird. I Personally Prefer Hunter, but they are both good. Keep in mind there are discount models with Rainbird that will get you similar results.

Hunter in my opinion does not have discount versions of their Products.

I guess i went down that road.

You can't go wrong with Hunter.

:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

billydv1

Monday, October 23rd 2017, 9:51pm

Im going down there in 2 weeks, Im going to first swap out solenoids with irritrol brand that are compatible with my valves and use grease caps on all connections, then Im going to use a ups to power the rainbirds to prevent power fluctuations, hoping this will solve problems

BackflowInspector

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 24th 2017, 12:07pm

Awesome
Best of Luck

Go Astros!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

Rate this thread