You are not logged in.

Saturday, October 14th 2017, 8:19am

Drainage Advice

Hello...
I suspect I have a broken sprinkler pipe near the foundation. The lawn is saturated in the area, and my neighbor said the previous homeowners had a broken pipe repaired in the same area years ago. I shut off the sprinkler water supply, and have been waiting for the saturated area to drain some, before I start digging. I also have water on another side of the house, along the foundation. It's been almost a week since I shut off the water, but the water doesn't seem to be draining at all, on either side. My water piping for the bathrooms/kitchen is in the attic, so I don't suspect that as the source of a leak. Would anyone know if it takes this long for water to drain down into the water table, with no further leaking?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 14th 2017, 9:28am

You may have a shutoff valve that is not fully shutting off, thereby letting a continuous flow of water escape a broken pipe. Observe the water meter to see if it shows a flow.

Saturday, October 14th 2017, 9:45am

Thanks...I've never tried observing the gauge. Should it simply not be showing any flow, if there's nothing in the house turned on? (Probably a dumb question, sorry)

Saturday, October 14th 2017, 10:06am

okay...the gauge is showing a slight flow. I have two shutoff valves at the backflow preventer, that I turned off. Could both of them be faulty, and not closing all the way?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 14th 2017, 12:18pm

Suspect another valve before you suspect the valves on a backflow preventer. Since a backflow preventer is not supposed to be the master shutoff on any sprinkler system, you look upstream for a shutoff valve at the point the system connects to the water supply.

mrfixit

Saturday, October 14th 2017, 1:16pm

If your pipes are in the floor there might be a leak inside your house. I've seen exactly what you've described a couple of times from leaky copper pipes under the floor. Try shutting the water off where it enters the house and see if the meter still indicates a leak.