You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, October 14th 2017, 8:19am

Drainage Advice

Hello...
I suspect I have a broken sprinkler pipe near the foundation. The lawn is saturated in the area, and my neighbor said the previous homeowners had a broken pipe repaired in the same area years ago. I shut off the sprinkler water supply, and have been waiting for the saturated area to drain some, before I start digging. I also have water on another side of the house, along the foundation. It's been almost a week since I shut off the water, but the water doesn't seem to be draining at all, on either side. My water piping for the bathrooms/kitchen is in the attic, so I don't suspect that as the source of a leak. Would anyone know if it takes this long for water to drain down into the water table, with no further leaking?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 14th 2017, 9:28am

You may have a shutoff valve that is not fully shutting off, thereby letting a continuous flow of water escape a broken pipe. Observe the water meter to see if it shows a flow.

Saturday, October 14th 2017, 9:45am

Thanks...I've never tried observing the gauge. Should it simply not be showing any flow, if there's nothing in the house turned on? (Probably a dumb question, sorry)

Saturday, October 14th 2017, 10:06am

okay...the gauge is showing a slight flow. I have two shutoff valves at the backflow preventer, that I turned off. Could both of them be faulty, and not closing all the way?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 14th 2017, 12:18pm

Suspect another valve before you suspect the valves on a backflow preventer. Since a backflow preventer is not supposed to be the master shutoff on any sprinkler system, you look upstream for a shutoff valve at the point the system connects to the water supply.

mrfixit

Saturday, October 14th 2017, 1:16pm

If your pipes are in the floor there might be a leak inside your house. I've seen exactly what you've described a couple of times from leaky copper pipes under the floor. Try shutting the water off where it enters the house and see if the meter still indicates a leak.