You are not logged in.

directs

Unregistered

Monday, August 28th 2017, 3:15pm

Increasing PSI after installing an RPZ backflow

Hi! I am on a city water line and PSI is marginal. I was required to install an RPZ backflow device that further cut down the pressure to the point that my sprinkler heads barely rise. Is it possible to put a pump on the water line prior to the RPZ that feed the sprinkler valves. I don't need hole a whole house PSI increase, just to my in ground sprinklers. Thanks! ?(

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 29th 2017, 7:36am

A whole-house booster system would be the straightforward approach. Where is your new RPZ located? Outdoors? Inside a basement?

directs

Unregistered

Wednesday, August 30th 2017, 9:23am

RPZ

Thanks! The RPZ is located outside

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 31st 2017, 10:33am

If you have a power outlet convenient to the RPZ, you could try any of a number of pressure booster pump-plus-tank assemblies. As far as I know, they are not used by the irrigation trade, so you are on your own for recommendations. The pump would go on the downstream side, and you would need to throttle down the output. There is no way you can run very-low-flow drip irrigation from this kind of booster. Your zone flows have to be enough for you to be able to adjust a pressure switch, so that the pump keeps running while your sprinklers run. No cycling on and off is permissible. Only a big-tank whole house booster allows for that.

Note that the photo is in no way an endorsement of any Flotec product. I just know them to have been widely stocked in big home improvement stores. It's the form that I'm referring to. Pressure tank with a platform on which a pump is mounted. Pump can be changed as required. Pump is a 1/2 HP jet pump with a pressure switch control. The cost of these assemblies is around $200-$300 for brand name goods you can buy with a warranty at some local outlet, and maybe half that price for some Chinese-made whatever on eBay.

Rate this thread