You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Shredder

Friday, August 25th 2017, 9:04am

Total pressure loss after 2 minutes

Hey all, first time poster here. I've got a 4 zone system attached to an irrigation only well. I noticed lately that the pressure was low, which usually happened when the filter on the line after the pressure tank needed cleaning. When I looked at the filter though, it was clean. I checked the pressure in the tank after I drained the system and shut the pump off and it read 4psi. My pressure switch is a 40/60. I knew the tank would be low because I had drained most of the air out of it during a situation where another user of my well had inadvertently opened the valve from the city water hookup to our system and it was causing my system to come on and stay on to the point it was blowing out of the pressure relief valve even though my controller was unplugged, but that's another story. I put 21 psi in cause that's all I had in my compressor at the time, just to see if it was holding pressure. 2 days later it still had 21psi in it so I figure the tank is good. I had an electrician look at the pressure switch, and power was coming in to the switch, but wasn't coming out of the contacts, so we replaced the switch. I pumped up the tank to 38psi, turned on the power and watched the pressure gauge on the line go to 58psi and stay there. So far so good. I turn on my sprinklers for 5 minutes and they've got pressure like they haven't in years, no doubt because of the proper tank pressure. I'm watching the gauge, and after 2 minutes, when the pressure fell below 40, rather than the pump kick on, the pressure drops to 0 and no water comes out. If I turn the power to the pump off for a minute or so and then turn it back on, the pump comes back on and build back up to 58, and then when it drops below 40 again, it does the same thing all over again. I'm really hoping it's not the pump, but does anyone have something I can try before I call in the cavalry? Thanks in advance for any help!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 25th 2017, 9:22am

Did you flush the pipe/tubing that connects the pressure switch? If it's clogged up, you won't get normal switch performance.

Shredder

Friday, August 25th 2017, 12:55pm

Yeah, it was flowing out of there pretty well when the system was draining itself.

Rate this thread