You are not logged in.

tbplayer

Saturday, August 19th 2017, 1:12pm

Repairing a break at the valve

Well, I found the problem:

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this but...

Next step is deciding to hire someone to fix it, or attempt DIY.

So, what would I expect to pay for a repair.

If I were to do it myself, what is the recommended approach?

I'm guessing a sawzall to cut halfway up the supply side, to remove it. See if I can get the threaded part removed from the otherside and replace with a stub, clean up and splice it back in?

Thanks.

mrfixit

Saturday, August 19th 2017, 2:43pm

Yep, it's a pretty simple job. If you're using a sawsall just be careful of sawdust particles. You want to clean all that up before gluing. The plastic doesn't dissolve and can cause problems.

I would call around for prices. You'll know if they're too high or not. Where I live you'll get quotes between 120 and 300, sometimes more. That includes a new valve. It's a really easy job. The guy who charges 300 actually does the worst quality work and he wont come back if he's made a mistake. I don't know how he stays in business but he's been around 30 years. The BBB has him at an A+ rating. A plumber here charged this lady 800 bucks to dig up a pvc pipe and cap it off. She had to call someone else to fix it. Was only 6 inches deep. My friend was the guy she called and I wouldn't have believed her but she showed him the receipt.

Anywho, I've given you more info than you wanted. Good luck!

Rate this thread