You are not logged in.

Tuesday, July 25th 2017, 1:44pm

Square Solenoid Replacement?

Hi all,

I've got a zone that isn't coming up. I inherited this system from previous owners and I'm not sure which solenoid to replace it with. Any chance someone can give me a recommendation from the this visual?

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 26th 2017, 12:14am

A bad solenoid is rarely the problem.
If you want to post a picture, go to www.tinypic.com, upload your pic then cut n paste the "forum" code to your post.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 26th 2017, 8:08am

The solenoids are almost certainly the discontinued Weathermatic M24E - replace them with the new S20P - but don't fiddle with the valves until you clean out the valve box and remove more dirt

A wiring check for continuity would be in order. If you are going to handle maintenance on this system, you should own a multimeter. They're cheap enough. In fact, Harbor Freight actually gives them away on occasion, as a sales promotion.

Wednesday, July 26th 2017, 10:35am

OK Thanks!

I already shop-vac'd out quite a bit of loose dirt, but I'll do some more. I have the multi-meter, but haven't gotten in there to check it out yet. I know there is water coming through that valve and it doesn't appear to be the controller as it works for my other zones. But I'll keep after it. I wish I lived closer to Harbor Freight though.

Thanks again!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 27th 2017, 12:14pm

If you already have a multimeter, it is automatically superior to the HF freebie. :)

Thursday, August 17th 2017, 4:54pm

Well multi-meter reads at the controller show high resistance (relative to other valves) on the two valves which aren't working. So that's - I guess - good. I'll do a reading tonight at the actual valve to see if it is a wiring problem or a solenoid problem. I guess if the reading at the solenoid itself comes back the same as at the controller - I'm pretty sure I just need to replace the solenoids with the s20p.

If you already have a multimeter, it is automatically superior to the HF freebie. :)

Rate this thread