You are not logged in.

Monday, July 31st 2017, 11:27am

Could an older Irritrol RD-600 be putting out the right voltage but not enough amps to open the valves?

I have a buddy that I helped with repairing his existing sprinkler system at his house. It stopped working a few days ago and I went over this morning to troubleshoot. I am not sure what the problem is after ruling several things out. He has a new Febco backflow device and I checked to make sure it is working properly. I was able to activate one of the valves manually and the heads popped up. 3 other valves that I tried activating manually by turning the solenoids would not come on. Confusing. So I moved to checking the electrical, I have the needed 24 vac into the controller. I set station 1 manually to run about 15 minutes and there is 24 vac output from the controller from station 1. I checked at the solenoid wiring and could hear the electrical buzz/hum of power and tested 24 vac at the valve solenoid. All of the stations tested 24 vac out of the controller and at each station solenoid. Could this older Irritrol Rain Dial RD-600 be putting out the 24 vac but not enough amps that it is not able to activate the valve solenoid? I am aware that the specs show 0.5 amps should be enough. I only had a cheap meter today that would not check low voltage AC amperage. I am just not sure what else to look for at this point and any help would be greatly appreciated! ?(

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 31st 2017, 5:52pm

Something simple you can try. Turn off the water supply to the system. The isolation valve downstream of your outdoor backflow preventer is ideal for this. Bleed off the water pressure from the system. A drain valve will do, or manually open a zone valve. After the pressure is bled away, restore the drain or zone valve to the closed position.

Now go to your controller and manually turn on a zone. Of course, the water is turned off outside, so nothing is happening, sprinkler-wise. Once you see that the controller has your zone turned on, go back outside and open the supply valve you had previously closed.

Does your zone start sprinkling?

Monday, July 31st 2017, 6:15pm

Thanks! I will try this in the morning!

Rate this thread