You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Raul G

Starting Member

Monday, May 8th 2017, 2:31pm

System will not come on, at wits end.

Hello, thanks for letting me join this forum.

I have a fairly small system w 3 zones that was working fine a few months ago but now that spring is here it is not working. I live in Texas so there has been no winterizing or other repairs done on the system.

In a nutshell, I am getting +24V to the valves but the zones are not coming on. I can turn my solenoids or open the air relief and either of these methods will turn the zones on and water sprays. I have tested the solenoids for resistance and they all measure between 26 and 30 Ohms. Additionally I have connected the solenoids individually directly to my Rainbird controller on an unused zone (one wire to Common the other to the zone) and the solenoids energize and retract the plunger when the zone comes on.

As an example one zone I connected my multimeter to the commons and to the red wire without the solenoid connected. When I energize the zone it reads 24.5V AC. However with the solenoid wired in the voltage drops to 0, is this normal? ?(

Not sure why it would stop working out of the blue the only thing I can think of is some type of issue with the field wires, a nick or something. Any ideas?

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 9th 2017, 11:46am

So the solenoids activate at the controller and you have 24v at the valves. Do the solenoids activate at the valves?
If not I'd say there's a wiring problem. Redo all the wiring connections. Maybe use a different wire for the common and see what happens.
Did you do a resistance test of the indivisual wires?
I'm a little confused about your 0 reading. You say the solenoids work at the controller but then you got a 0 reading. Did the solenoid stop working when you got the 0 reading?

kcmike

Starting Member

Saturday, June 3rd 2017, 4:52pm

Same issue

I"m having similar issue.

24V coming out of the controller
Reading 24V from the wires at the valves
Tested solenoids using an 18V battery and they trigger
Connect the solenoid to the wires and nothing.

Why would solenoids trigger using a battery and not while wired?

BackflowInspector

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 4th 2017, 12:53am

I think you guys are describing a Rain Sensor Issue.
Either your rain sensor is wet.
Your rain sensor if you have one may be wired in after the timer or not into the timer.

If the rain sensor wire is cut, (very common)!
Your system will be dead.

It may not be the problem, but it is the best place to start.
:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

Rate this thread