You are not logged in.

Tuesday, May 16th 2017, 12:14pm

Problem with Hunter PGV Jar-Top

Hi guys!
We just bought a home last week and I am starting to get used and understand irrigation system in my backyard. So far so good, but I got one problem I can't figure out. One station will not stop watering until I stop the water from the main valve.
As far I understood from this forum and other places this is a regular problem and it is related to solenoid, diaphragm or the debris inside the valve, or valve by itself.
I started with switching the solenoid from other working station. No success. The station that got the solenoid from "bad" station still works fine and the "bad" station which got a good solenoid still waters non-stop.
Then I tried inspecting the diaphragm cleaning it and assembling it back. No success again. The diaphragm looked good to me, no deformations at all.
After that, I tried to clear the valve from debris, removed everything and let the water run for 10 - 15 seconds. Assembled everything back and again no success.
My last step was taking all the top parts from a good valve(bonnet, diaphragm, solenoid, o ring), everything what can be disassembled without digging the valve, and putting it on the bad valve. In the same time I took all the parts from the bad valve and put it on the good one. Same result - the good valve keeps working even with parts from bad valve, and the bad valve keeps watering non-stop.
Does everything described above means that the problem is with the valve by itself? Can it be other issues besides the valve or things I described above? I am planing buying a brand new valve and replacing it on next weekend, but I have no idea how difficult it can be.
Any help much appreciated! ^^

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 16th 2017, 12:38pm

Yep I followed everything you said.
Are you 100% sure you're working on the correct valve? Even pros make that mistake.
The valve body shouldn't cause the sprinklers to run full blast. If it was cracked on the inside there would just be leakage out one of the heads.
When you swapped solenoids did you also swap wires? Basically what I mean is, if you take the wire off does it stop? I'm thinking that's not the problem but make sure anyway.
I'm thinking you're working on the wrong valve. Does it have a flow control? Turn the flow control all the way closed and see if that impedes the flow of water. If not then you have the wrong valve. I sometimes use a tube and hold it to my ear then to each valve to hear which one's leaking.
Good luck!

Tuesday, May 16th 2017, 1:35pm

Yep I followed everything you said.
Are you 100% sure you're working on the correct valve? Even pros make that mistake.
The valve body shouldn't cause the sprinklers to run full blast. If it was cracked on the inside there would just be leakage out one of the heads.
When you swapped solenoids did you also swap wires? Basically what I mean is, if you take the wire off does it stop? I'm thinking that's not the problem but make sure anyway.
I'm thinking you're working on the wrong valve. Does it have a flow control? Turn the flow control all the way closed and see if that impedes the flow of water. If not then you have the wrong valve. I sometimes use a tube and hold it to my ear then to each valve to hear which one's leaking.
Good luck!
hmm, I got your point, I'll definitely check the valves one more time, and no, I don't have the flow control. One more thing I was planing to do is to turn of the timer system, I mean totally turn it of, would that equal taking the wires off? Thanks for the advice though!

Friday, May 19th 2017, 10:54am

mrfixit, you were absolutely right, I was working on a wrong valve. Yesterday I started to check every valve again, and when I turned the solenoid off and on for another valve the watering just stopped. I think some debris was stuck under the solenoid. Anyway, it works now, thanks again for help! :thumbsup: