You are not logged in.

Saturday, May 13th 2017, 8:12pm

Pump won't stop after running thru a full cycle.

Replaced a home depot pump with a Gould GT15. I have an older Rainbird (2007) ESP Controller with 5 zones. I'm running 2 cycles a day since its a very new lawn. I'm pumping water from a canal behind my home. I have programmed the controller many times, so it's set up correctly, and has been running successfully for the last several months.
I have run each cycle manually and everything worked properly, except the pump never shuts off. Each zone turns off/on at the right time as well, so the valves appear ok. after it goes thru the 5 zones, the sprinklers shut off, but the pump still continues to run.
When I replaced the pump I changed the wiring from 115 to 230 (single pole to double pole breaker), and the pump works fine at the lower amperage, but is there something I need to do to the controller for the change in voltage so the pump starts and stops correctly? That is the only variable I can see between now and the previous pump.
Please help!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 14th 2017, 9:20am

You haven't fully described how the pump is being controlled. I suspect a pressure switch might be involved. A pump control relay wouldn't know from what's connected to it, but a pressure switch would know. Your new pump might have a lower top output pressure, making it necessary to adjust a pressure switch controlling it.

Sunday, May 14th 2017, 10:40am

Sub Panel power goes to the relay box and then to the pump. No pressure switches involved.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 15th 2017, 9:39am

If you have no pressure switch, and the pump never shuts off, even when the controller cycle is ended, something could be very wrong in the circuit from controller to relay to pump. But first, try working from the assumption that the equipment is in good order. That has you looking at the controller programming. If the controller has more zones than the system is using, there may be some faulty programming involved. Perhaps the controller is trying to water a zone that has no wire connected to it, while at the same time it's sending power to the pump relay.

Rate this thread