You are not logged in.

Alljays

Starting Member

Wednesday, May 10th 2017, 6:56pm

Best way to rewire

I need to rewire my system. Only two zones work and the rest have some serious shorts. Last fall I noticed bare wires in one of my boxes. The insulation is falling off the wires. for my dilemma... there are 5 boxes for 6 valves. Only 2 are close to each other. The rest are about 35 feet from each other. Is it better to run a 7 wire and splice it at each box? Is there an easy way of cutting just the outer cassing? I was then thinking about running multiple 2 wire runs. I don't like the idea of cutting a 7 wire set 3 times but I don't want the extra cost of multiple lines either. Any help and direction would be great. Thanks. :cursing:

mrfixit

Wednesday, May 10th 2017, 11:50pm

If it was me I'd just fix all the shorts.
But if you're going to rewire it i'd go with the single bundle of wires as opposed to several sets.
You have 6 valves and need 7 wires to run them all. Keep in mind how much work you're doing to redo them. With 7 wires you wont have a spare if one goes bad in the future. You'll have to trace down the break. Maybe go with an 8 strand.
You could run an 8 strand to the first box then 7 strand to the second box each additional box will need one less wire. Maybe go, 8-7-7-5-5-5. I've made that difficult haven't I. Or just go 8 strand all the way. But you were worried about expense. Just asume there's going to be some extra wire either way. Now that I've said that you need to buy more wire than you think you need because if you don't you'll come up short. Trust me on that. Like 20 feet extra or more if you're makind splices. Maybe buy a 250 foot roll of 8 strand. I don't know how far it is from your controller to the first box but between the boxes is about 140 feet.
It's no big deal cutting the cable in half and splicing it back together or you could carefully slice the cable open with something but that'll be very difficult to do without damaging any of the wires.
Good luck!

Rate this thread