You are not logged in.

ps6fsu

Tuesday, April 18th 2017, 9:01pm

All heads on one zone not popping up

I recently moved into a new home and this is my first time using the sprinkler system. It was installed 2 owners ago and I was told the previous owners of 4 years never used the system. It is 9 zones and I have all working great except one. The one in question has 8 pop up heads on it. It is a mix of heads; three 4" Hunter PS Ultras, three 4" Rain Bird 1800s, and two 12" Rain Bird 1800s. All of them just pop up halfway at most. It sounds like too many heads but I have a pressure pump installed in the basement that seems to work fine. One of the zones has six Rain Bird 5000 rotary heads that I assume need a lot more water pressure than the zone in question and it works great. I turned the screws all the way down to close the nozzles and turned them on and only one was leaking so i replaced it. Problem persists. I walked the lawn after letting the zone run for 20 min and I see no water pooling anywhere. I tried opening valve manually to see if maybe it wasn't opening all the way on its own but problem persists. Thoughts?

mrfixit

Wednesday, April 19th 2017, 10:44am

Either the valve isn't coming on all the way or there's a broken pipe somewhere. It could be that you have poly pipe and it's pinched somehow.

When you opened the vavlve manually, did you use the bleeder screw? Sometimes it'll come on full force when you open the bleeder screw indicating the diaphragm is bad.

Can you post a picture of the valve? You need to make sure it's coming on all the way before you can go to the next step.

Maybe let the water run longer looking for the leak. Sometimes it takes a long time for it to show itself. I've seen it travel under the cement and come up in the neighbors yard.

ps6fsu

Wednesday, April 19th 2017, 1:14pm

Thanks for the response. To clarify, the pipe from water supply to valves as well as pipe run to zones are all 1" PVC. In the vicinity of each head is a threaded tee which has a short run of 1/2" poly to each head. I believe all the valves are Irritol 2400s. When i get home tonight i will take a picture and post it. In response to the bleeder screw... I did not. Just so i'm clear, I should manually open the valve to turn the zone on and then just open up the bleeder screw? How far should i open? Just til water starts coming out of the screw?

mrfixit

Wednesday, April 19th 2017, 7:59pm

I would replace the diaphragm on that valve. Should do the trick if there isn't a leak.

CajunRon

Starting Member

Thursday, April 20th 2017, 6:27pm

Heads not popping up - has me stumped.

I've got a similar problem. Only the first two heads closest to the valve pop up but both are very weak sprays. I've changed out the valve and I put the valve on another station number on the controller which I know works so this rules out both the valve and the controller. The system is made of PVC so I don't see how I could have a pinch. I see no wet spots anywhere in the yard. I would think as weak as the pressure is I would have a big leak that would show up as a wet spot. I continue having a water hammer when this valve closes even with the weak spray so I would guess that it is not a supply problem (all other 5 stations work as they have for years and years). This is acting as though I have an obstruction between the valve and the first head but I don't know how an obstruction could enter a closed system that has worked for years until now. I'm stumped.

The only other thing I know to do now is run a new temporary PVC "jumper line" from the valve the the first sprinkler head. This would confirm whether I've got an obstruction...it's doable but alot of work.

mrfixit

Thursday, April 20th 2017, 10:24pm

Psst Cajun. Just for future reference you should start your own thread. What we have going now is two different issues.

You have a break in the line. Look between the 2nd and 3rd head. I'd start by digging up the 3rd head to see if it's broke off.
You can stick your shovel in the ground while the water is running along the path between those two heads and you might hit the spot. Water should gush to the surface.

The leak should be near where you're losing pressure.

ps6fsu

Monday, May 1st 2017, 2:32pm

Update

Had to go away on business and haven't had time to troubleshoot. So I went outside and dug up every head and followed the poly pipe back to the PVC. I unscrewed each elbow and threaded a plug into each hole (all 8 heads). I turned the zone on for about 30 min. My pressure pump never kicked on after the initial turn on. I figured this would identify a leak. So i put 7 flex hoses back and re-connect heads but turn them all off. I left one of the tees capped because i dont think i really need a head there. I ran the zone again and didn't see any leaks. Pressure pump did kick on a couple of times but i figured it would because the heads were dripping here and there. So I then replaced each head with a brand new RB1800 with SAM. Now, I either get 6 heads that pop up fully and one that stays closed or 7 heads that pop up 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. I ran into the basement and checked the pressure pump and it is running and holding at 40 psi. Im lost. Please help!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ps6fsu" (May 1st 2017, 2:59pm)

Rate this thread