You are not logged in.

rao

Starting Member

Wednesday, November 2nd 2016, 10:50am

Hardie Sprinkler valve - leaking/repair ...

Hi,
I have a station that is leaking at all the sprinkler heads ... I can hear the water running through at the valve even though it is shut off. I can see
the valve is made by Hardie (picture attached). When I tried to take the solenoid valve out, the water kept bubbling up through (where the solenoid
was) ... Is that supposed to happen even if the water to the manifold is shut off? Can someone guess where I can get the parts to repair the valve
(and how to repair it)?
- Thanks,
- Rao.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Nov 3rd 2016, 12:26am)

mrfixit

Thursday, November 3rd 2016, 12:36am

I fixed your picture.

That's an older version of the Irritrol 700. It could be 30+ years old.

They've redesigned the innards of that just a tad but I have repaired the old valves with the newer parts.

It's a tricky valve to repair. You must pay attention to where all the parts go.

You might be better off just replacing the whole valve. Repair parts for that valve cost more than a lot of new plastic valves.

There's always the possibility that the valve seat is damaged and it still leaking after you've put new parts in.

I see the solenoid on/off lever is touching the valve body. Sometimes if that's not off all the way it'll leak. Maybe take that off and adjust it so it's about 1/2 inch away from the body when snug. Then again that valve is old. It's probably time to change it.

The water you said was coming out is probably just drainage.

Irritrol 700 < click on that

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, November 3rd 2016, 8:23am

As mentioned above, replacement is the most economical option. The only reason that particular valve could have been justified as an installation choice is if you had extremely high flow rates (from a water meter at least one-inch in size) and we know that is not to be expected in your situation, because the pipes going into and out of the valve would be a larger size.

A way to make the repair with only a wrench and a saw/cutter, is to cut the downstream pipe and after the old valve is removed, to then thread on a new valve and to use a compression coupling to bridge the gap where you cut the pipe. If you don't mind gluing PVC fittings, then there are alternatives to a compression coupling.

The choice of an Irritrol valve as a replacement gives you the convenience of one replacement solenoid fitting both old and new valves.

Rate this thread