You are not logged in.

scsikid

Unregistered

Tuesday, September 20th 2016, 8:16pm

Broken pipe underground in the middle of my lawn.

Hi All,

This is my first post and to be honest, I'm new to irrigation. In 2012 while I was landscaping my entire property I called an irrigation company to handle the install. They finished the install and all was well, however I decided to change my shrub sprayers to drip irrigation, specifically http://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/046878/046878670051.jpg

I did this last summer, so I used them the whole summer and this summer. In July I think I hit a pipe with a shovel and had to replace a section with a similar 3/4 inch pipe, it was in a completely different location then this leak. Everything has appeared to be ok until now (September) where I noticed a large hole in my lawn, about 3 inches in diameter. Initially I thought it was an animal like a squirrel that dug it up, however today while my shrub zone was running I noticed a hole in my lawn, water rushing upward from the ground. From what I recall it is in the location where the gentlemen that built the system brought all tubing. Although I have an image here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/185189/2012-07-17%2018.49.46-1.jpg which I think it might be the second from the left tube.

Any idea why they would bring a tube up in the middle of the lawn that heads to a flower garden that is at the side of my home? It would make sense to go directly to the area.

Also, does anyone think that possibly the drip irrigation heads I put on don't have enough flow compared to the shrub sprayers and therefore an abundance of pressure has caused a leak at the coupler I see here in the middle of the lawn.

I can take a video of whats happening if needed. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 21st 2016, 9:40am

By the time you take a video you could repair the leak.

The "bunch of pipes" in your photo would be a location for the zone valves.

scsikid

Unregistered

Wednesday, September 21st 2016, 11:53am

Hmm, well the valves are at the side of the house. So it looks like he brought all tubing for the back of the house to this one location, and then what I think they did is use couplers for each zone. In the image you can't see the zone I have at the side of my house.

So I think the bundle of 6 is broken down like so, 5 sprinkler heads for the grass, and 1 for the water supply to the 5 heads.

You'll notice in the picture another 4 pipes grouped into pairs. So i think in one pair its water supply to the shrub sprayers, and another pair for the side, again, water supply to shrub sprayers at the side of the house.

My guess is they are all coupled respectively. I just don't know why someone would do this other then maybe its easier to access? I think I'll be digging this up over the weekend.

However my biggest concern, is the back pressure to great on the coupler now that I've replaced some shrub sprayers with drip irrigation?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 21st 2016, 4:14pm

Just patch the breaks and don't overthink it. Curious about the photo (link fixed) - junctions of many pipes almost always point to valve locations, because you otherwise do not make extra work joining pipes together, when it's possible to pull a system with longer continuous runs, even though you might use more pipe doing so.

Rate this thread