You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Rocky11

Starting Member

Wednesday, August 24th 2016, 12:10pm

No pop-up

Replaced all my sprinkler heads with new Toro 570z. Don't get reliable pop-up. Had city check pressure: 38 psi. That is normal for my area and all I will get. Thinking to try and reduce spring stiffness so pressure overcomes spring. Any thoughts on how I should do this? Other ideas? Thanks.

mrfixit

Wednesday, August 24th 2016, 12:59pm

Toro really did a number on that spring. It's so strong that the Rainbird pull up tool wont hold the stem up.
So I take the spring out of the old head and put it in the new head when it wont pop up. So far it's worked every time.
I've always considered cutting about 1/3 of that spring off but I don't know if that'll work. It's a heavier gauge I believe.
I haven''t gotten that desperate yet since I have a case with the old spring in it.
I don't uses Toro 570's unless I'm replacing a Toro 570 or it's in a tight spot where an 1800 wont fit.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing as the old spring or not? I've never needed to order one.
Low pressure spring

38 lbs is really low.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Thursday, August 25th 2016, 7:00am

I've cut the end of a spring, mostly on high pops. You have to make sure you put the cut end facing the bottom or it will ruin the seal. Like mrfixit said it is best to save the old spring and exchange it with the new one.

Rate this thread