You are not logged in.

westchild

Starting Member

Saturday, August 20th 2016, 9:19am

High pressure, low GPM

My hose bib is measuring 70 psi of standing water. However, the flow rate is a depressing 3 GPM.

A little bit about my setup: I have 3/4" pex throughout the house which eventually branches off into 1/2" before meeting the hose bib. The runs of pex are very long throughout the house.

There is a pressure regulator about 12" after the water meter in my basement, but it has already been "opened" all the way with very little change to flow. There is also a water softener about 4 feet after the pressure regulator. For reference, I have a hose bib about 2 feet after the water softener. Pressure there measures 90 psi, and the flow rate from that hookup is 12 GPM.

First question is, should I back the pressure regulator down, because 90 psi seems a bit high for the household?

Next question is, what should I do? My goal is to hook up a few 6 head zones, but I don't think that's possible. With 3 GPM, would I be able to hook up 3 head zones instead, or does each head require more than 1 gpm?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 20th 2016, 11:58am

You should tee off for the sprinkler system at the water meter outlet, upstream of any valves or regulators, to get the most flow.