You are not logged in.

Mongo

Tuesday, August 2nd 2016, 10:25am

Permanent pressurized main pipe outside the house ? Possible freezing issues ? I am in Canada

Hi all,

Nowadays, the main pipe that feeds the valves passes through the roof of my home theater, I'd like to move it to the external part of the house; I mean, from my utility room I'd pass a new pipe directly to the external part of the house and from there I'd install 30 ft of PVC rigid pipe, that would then feed the valves. My guess is that I should install it at least 2 ft deep (?)

So, this part of the system would be permanently pressurized. I live in Canada, my question is if I can do it or if I may possibly have freezing issues even in spring, when the temperature overnight easily drops below 0C in my area.

Thanks for helping,

Mongo

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 2nd 2016, 1:35pm

Canada covers a lot of territory. Since you haven't shared your location, it's up to you to find out what your frost line is.

As per your plumbing, where is the system shutoff valve? If the shutoff is in a basement with a water meter, you should have all sorts of options for plumbing.

Mongo

Tuesday, August 2nd 2016, 7:43pm

Thanks, I am in Calgary, it goes down to -30C here.

I talked to a contractor today and he told me not to worry, all malls and big areas have pressurized pipes because the valves are not always close to the buildings, so there's always the need to run permanent pressurized pipes and at depths like 5 inches or so. His advice to avoid freezing was to make sure to use it really after winter.

The frosty line here is many feet deep, people don't run lines that deep. Thanks,

Rate this thread