You are not logged in.

MrSafety44

Starting Member

Sunday, July 31st 2016, 3:38pm

I have design Q(s)... our meter receives water at 100+psi... What is the optimum PSI to reduce such high pressures down to ?

OK... I'm 72 years old and live in an 85-unit HomeOwnerAssociation (HOA) and our gardeners need guidance.
I'm a retired Fire Protection Engineer with lots of general safety experience as well... so I'm no stranger to engineering calculations and understanding of water hydraulics, pumps, etc... but I want to pose what I'm certain will be basic questions for Irrigation Systems.
Let me introduce you to our systems. They are 25-to-30 years old with ~60 stations supplied from 4 separate water district meters on a hillside with ~100-ft elevation difference top to bottom. As I suspect is not unusual, our new gardeners lack basic understanding of water hydraulics. They thought we had ~50 psi here but it ranges from 110 down to 85 at the higher elevations (.443psi/ft). I learned from other Members that our previous gardeners had removed the pressure regulators that were in each of our meter boxes!??

I believe that high pressures are the reason for our frequent equipment breaks and U.G. leaks.

Q1 - What is an optimum pressure we should reduce our water supply to...
this for a mix of above-ground sprinklers and drip irrigation... my guess is about ~50psi ?
Q2 - For our Drip Stations, shouldn't we lower the pressure down further... to about ~25psi?
Q3 - For our Drip Stations, should the drip filter be located before (in front of) the station control valves...
this as a way try to keep dirt/grit out of the station valves' solenoids that bleed bleed off the pressure and thus
open/close these pressure differential control valves?
Q4 - IF YES to Q3, should the pressure regulator (PRV) also be located in front of the control valve ?
Enough for now !
Sam

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 31st 2016, 6:07pm

We haven't heard the size of the system connection pipes. We don't know your location (it matters) and we don't know what kind of pipe is used in the system.

One obvious thought is that the removal of pressure reducing valves happened because they ruined performance. A different type of PRV might be in order.