You are not logged in.

crice8

Tuesday, July 19th 2016, 10:45am

Replacing Old heads with New PRS40 and MP Rotators. Spacing Issue?

This is the approximate location of the current sprinkler heads before I start replacing. I'm going to start by doing the strip between the sidewalk and road. They are currently weathermatic lx4 heads and they mist like crazy. Currently the heads are spaced about 7-8ft apart alternating sides. So 15ft apart on a given side.

I will be using Hunter PRS40 heads with MP Rotator nozzles. I plan on using the MP Strip Nozzles. The Corner nozzles spray 15ft and the side strip sprays 30ft.

Given the current lines that are ran, and since the MP Strip nozzles spray in a rectangler pattern, could I simply replace the heads on one side of the sidewalk that are spaced about 15ft apart and cap off the opposite side?

Would this be okay compared to an alternating triangular layout? In order to do that I would have to dig and move many of the heads to get proper spacing.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 20th 2016, 7:46am

What are the zone valves on the system? Misting sprays can be dialed down when you have zone valves with flow controls.

crice8

Wednesday, July 20th 2016, 11:28am

I'm honestly not sure. I just located the valves recently by digging in the yard following the wires from the controller. Turns out the company that installed this system is known for crappy work. The house was built in 2007 (Irrigation installed) and we bought it in 2014 like this.

When I was at the irrigation supply store talking to a contractor, he said "That sounds like (Company Name) work". I literally laughed out loud and told him that is actually who installed the system. I saw their name on the permit records for when it was installed. He said "And they have a little piece of pvc on top of the valves holding the wires then just buried in the ground?" He was spot on!

I installed a box over the valves and such. Everything else they installed was weathermatic, so I bet the valves are too. I don't think they have any adjustments on them. I am buying the Hunter PRS40 heads to replace everything anyways due to lots of water being wasted from the current heads after they shut off.

Yesterday I did the small strip in front of the house. I was able to cover the whole thing with 2 MP Rotator corner strips, and 3 side strips. I just put the side strips on the side closest to the house and capped off the head locations on the street side. The corner strip next to the driveway is on the same side closest to the house, but the corner strip on the other end is on the outside edge. I'm getting head to head coverage with it setup this way, although it is not an alternating pattern. Will this be okay?

crice8

Thursday, July 21st 2016, 11:49am

Here is the current spacing of the rotors in the back yard. To get even head to head coverage with new MP Rotators I will for sure need to move the head that is semi in the middle of the yard. The space between the edges on the sides is 40 ft which is too far for the MP rotator to throw. To fix this, should I put two heads in the middle of the yard with the spacing suggested in the second image below? Or should I put 3 heads in the middle for square spacing like the 3rd photo? I will be using MP3000 Rotary Nozzles unless I need to use MP2000.

Also there is one oddball head in the front yard that comes on with the back yard that I will be capping off.

Current Layout of old rotors

Triangle spacing with 2 heads in the middle

Square Layout with 3 heads in the middle

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "crice8" (Jul 21st 2016, 1:36pm)

Rate this thread