You are not logged in.

Shaun

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 28th 2016, 1:20am

How to flush out large amounts of debri and rock from laterals???

Hi,
Im a first time home owner and ever since we purchased our home a few years ago, our backyard sprinklers were a disaster. The previous owner had zero aspirations of taking care of the place and so 9 out of the 10 sprinklers were completely broken off at the riser where dirt eventually filled in each hole leaving no evidence that a sprinkler even existed in several locations... For some time we just dealt with it being DOA when we got here since we never use our backyard all that much... finally, i decided I was tired of having my backyard look like a wasteland so after completely swapping out all of my front yard sprinkler heads with the brand new ones successfully I decided to take a stab at fixing this monstrosity myself.

So far Ive dug out each sprinkler head location. Each one appears to have at least some dirt and rock thats entered the pipes over the years... others are not as bad... one things for sure, its full of heavy debris.

What is the the proper way to clean all of this gunk out so that I can begin to fix my backyard sprinkler system finally?

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Tuesday, June 28th 2016, 5:24pm

If all that dirt and rock has gotten in from the head side, it should have no problem flushing out the same way. Plug all the outlets except for the last one and screw a riser into the outlet. Run the zone until the water runs clear and then plug the last head and repeat the process with each outlet down the line.

Shaun

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 28th 2016, 7:09pm

Thank you so much for the reply!

Im glad to hear that advice since that was the only conclusion I had arrived at myself, haha... I do believe it clogged from the head ends primarily, though I plan to replace the sprinkler valves solenoid once I got everything else in the back dialed in regardless considering it tended to leak when we first bought the house...

I was also concerned about backflow after flushing so I contemplated building my own flushing tool out of extra PVC or hose.... will that work just the same? Just want to attempt to keep water away from the hole when it flushes as much as possible so that dirt doesnt get right back in there.

I appreciate the help, thank you!

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 29th 2016, 12:11am

i'm not sure I'd start with the end of the line. I would start with the sprinklers closest to the water supply. So if it tees in the middle of that line then you'd work from that tee out in both directions.

If there's tons of stuff in the pipe I might even cut the end of the line open and flush it that way first.

I have a tool that pulls debris right out of the threadded tee. A guy who used to post on this site sells them on Ebay. Bill Painter I believe. I've bought two and I've had them for years and neither one has given out yet. It's one of my most versitile and useful tools on my truck.
I'm contemplating buying another one just in case. Whenever I find an amazing tool or whatever I buy extras because I've learned from experience if you wait until the one you have breaks. It's too late. They wont be available anymore.

Sucktube

Shaun

Unregistered

Wednesday, June 29th 2016, 12:30am

Its a smart design, ive seen it before actually... Hard to say just how much dirt and rock is really in there, but I would venture to say its not as much it possibly looks like at first glance. Regardless, I want to do it right hence why Im here... So you think flushing closest to to the water supply "first" would be better actually?

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 29th 2016, 5:04am

I might even just turn the water on and flush them all at once.
Start at the beginning and clean them one at a time. Maybe cap them as you go with the water running. Or screw a sprinkler on with it running. You'll be able to do that with most of them. Towards the end you might have to turn the water off if there's too much pressure.
I'd start right at the southeast corner.

Shaun

Unregistered

Wednesday, June 29th 2016, 10:08am

Thanks, flushing them all at once was what I had initially thought to do, but Im worried about the water filling each hole too much and then backflowing particles of dirt into each riser... does that not matter all that much at the beginning of a big flush like this?... I bought a couple cobra connectors that I coupled together to use as a flushing tool to force water away from the hole, but I can only do that one at a time... is it not really worth it to be that concerned about the backflow like I am?

Rate this thread