You are not logged in.

Thursday, June 9th 2016, 11:34am

Replacement solenoid for an LR Nelson valve

I have a lawn sprinkler system that utilizes 24V LR Nelson brass electric control valves. System is awesome, but the solenoid for both of the 3/4" valves (valve model 8201) have cracked. Does anyone know a replacement option for the solenoid? I believe the original solenoid is Nelson #8195.

Supreme Member

Friday, June 10th 2016, 8:16am

Any standard 3/4 inch solenoid will fit that valve.

Friday, June 17th 2016, 10:06am

Thanks for the prompt response! I bought the Irritrol R811-24vACG and it didn't work. I think the threads are fine, but there are two problems that I see:
1. The valve body is brass, but the threads of solenoid are plastic. Should it be brass?
2. Most importantly, I couldn't screw the solenoid all the way into the valve body because the plunger assembly extends about a quarter inch beyond the threaded portion, whereas the old solenoid was flush.

Supreme Member

Friday, June 17th 2016, 10:28am

Unfortunately, the Irritrol solenoid is no longer a standard solenoid. It began life as one, but now, after its redesign, it barely makes a fit for old Richdel and Irritrol valves that used a standard solenoid. It used to be possible to pop out the white plastic piece, but the redesign makes it necessary to hold the O-ring in place.

So we now are at a point where it would be better to use a SOL-2 loose-coil solenoid on that (or any similar) brass valve. The key for a sure-thing exact fit is that the replacement solenoid has an O-ring that isn't built into the solenoid. Everything else falls into place after that.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (Jun 17th 2016, 10:33am)

Friday, June 17th 2016, 11:55am

Many thanks for that explanation and suggestion! I will give that a try and report back.

Friday, June 24th 2016, 7:17pm

Threads are too fine

Got the SOL-2 today and attempted to install. Issue now is that the threads on the replacement solenoid are finer than the valve body, preventing me from screwing in the solenoid more than an 1/10 of a turn. Thoughts on what to try now?

Supreme Member

Friday, June 24th 2016, 9:18pm

This is not good. Can you do a side-by-side photo of the old and new solenoids? Is there any corrosion on the valve cover where the solenoids thread in? We should look these over before proceeding.

This used to be so simple, with any 3/4 x 20 (threads per inch) solenoid being interchangeable with any other one. It's a thread standard from established use, long before it was employed for sprinkler valves. I have installed those Nelson brass valves, and I know they worked with standard solenoids. Snazzy-looking solenoids, with a thick orange outer coating. Full disclosure - I never had to replace a solenoid on those valves.

I begin to think it might be possible that so many years have passed since the 'standard' solenoid was adopted for many sprinkler valves, that copies of copies are being introduced, and they've forgotten about making them an exact match for the original.

The one 'fallback' option might not be easy to find - a solenoid with threads that look like what you see on the picture of the SOL-2, only with the material being plastic.

Rate this thread