You are not logged in.

JeffJ

Unregistered

Monday, June 13th 2016, 3:31pm

Project 28 Oleanders, 150' drip

Hello all,

Not sure if this forum is the right place for this, so please let me know. Working on an order and want to make sure I'm not missing something. Anyone willing to give me some advice?

SITUATION: 150' wall of 28 (mature, 20+ year) Oelanders. These 15-20' plants were thinned out and severely pruned back to 8' tall. Prior watering was done with a couple of impact rotors which were totally ineffective due the massive branches and plant growth.

My plan is to put in two 150' straight runs of 3/4" drip tubing on each side of the plants. Surrounding each plant, four emitters right into the 3/4 tubing. Not planning on using any 1/4 tubing. The surrounding hills are granite and soil is dense sand. My thought is to run a single zone using a slow drip 0.5 gph per emitter, total 2.0 gph for each plant. I want to initially get a 2' deep soak into the roots along with fertilizer and then only water 1-2 times per month.

I was initially going to use soaker tape but the ground is in direct sun for 6+ hours with summers reaching into the 90-110 degrees. My understanding is that soaker tape isn't very durable.

Hose bib water volume = 720gph but I don't know the pressure.

I think I need the following configuration, need someone to review if I'm making the right choices and to suggest the rest. Thanks so much!

FILTER: Do I really need one of these?
TIMER: 1x DIG B092A 3/4 in hose end timer with 2 dials
REGULATOR: 1x ? Which one?
BACKFLOW: 1x Hendrickson DG41P 3/4 inch FHT x MPT Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker
SPLITTER: 1x ?Do I need this to split into two 150' runs?
TUBING: 1x 500' DIG 14-002 3/4 in. Black Polyethylene Tubing (60 PSI)
EMITTERS: 150x Antelco A30425 Red 1/2 GPH Pressure Comp. 0.16 in. Barb Drip Emitter
PLUGS: 2x Antelco A42325 Rack Of Ten Goof Plugs For Drip Tubing
STAKES: 50x Antelco A43615 7 in. Tubing Stake for 1/2 in. to 3/4 in. OD Tubing
PUNCH: ?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 13th 2016, 7:09pm

Yes you need a filter.
Hose-bib-mount controllers are not a first choice when it comes to quality.
Naked emitters without a bit of spaghetti tube and a bug cap are an invitation to getting clogged up by insects

JeffJ

Unregistered

Monday, June 13th 2016, 8:37pm

Ahh, Hose bib ... hmm the only other option is to convert an existing underground system. Better?

Any thoughts on the regulator?

Might have to invest in a little bug protection then. thanks!