You are not logged in.

rickbrum

Starting Member

Monday, April 18th 2016, 9:13am

Sprinklers turning on in the morning when not scheduled

Hello all. New homeowner here. My house has a three zone sprinkler system connected to a Hunter Pro-C controller. We moved in towards the end of the sprinkler season in 2015 and noticed that while the sprinklers were scheduled to turn on at 5 am, at 7 am, the sprinklers would turn on for another round at 7 am, even on days when no activity was scheduled.

I didn't have time to deal with the issue at the time so I left in in manual mode for the remainder of the season. I mentioned to our service who winterizes the system and they said they would deal with it in the Spring. On Friday they came to turn on the system. I mentioned last year's issue and they reset the schedule and said I was good to go.

This morning at 7 am the sprinklers went off again for a second round after the normal 5 am watering.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 18th 2016, 7:11pm

Extra cycles are usually a programming error. You have three separate programs possible on the Pro-C, and you almost always can get by with Program A, with one start time (there are four start times possible on each program)

Monday, May 9th 2016, 4:25pm

I have it too.

Extra cycles are usually a programming error. You have three separate programs possible on the Pro-C, and you almost always can get by with Program A, with one start time (there are four start times possible on each program)
Can this be caused by a bad panel? I have a Hunter Pro-C and have in my home for the last nine years. I know how to program it and noticed that after it was turned back on in the spring, I have a similar issue. It turns on random zones at odd times, including 9:00 at night. When it does, I check the panel and it says it's Program A, but that program starts at 5:00 a.m. Could a bad panel cause this behavior? I was looking at getting this (http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Sprinklers-526200-Pro-C-Controller/dp/B00FJWETN8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) and wonder if it should be what I need, if so. Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 10th 2016, 6:51am

Random zones operating is a different problem than extra cycles. Since you can confirm that the controller was not programmed incorrectly, you have to repair/replace the controller.

Friday, May 13th 2016, 3:13pm

Gotcha. That's kind of what I feared. Do you know if the part I linked is the controller? I wasn't sure since the description on Amazon says "Hunter Sprinklers 526200 Pro-C and PCC Controller Front Panel." Didn't know if the intelligence is in that panel or if there is something else I need to buy.

I really appreciate the help! :)

Rate this thread