You are not logged in.

sjl1986

Unregistered

Wednesday, April 27th 2016, 11:03pm

Locating existing sprinkler system - Missing zone

Good evening everyone. I hope I'm posting this to the right location. Below is a picture that shows a rough sketch of what I've figured out so far. From what I can tell it's a Hunter PGP system. Unfortunately I bought a foreclosed house, so I have no other information from the previous owner. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

As you can see in the picture, what is baffling to me is that when I open my main valve, sprinklers to the right side of the house all pop up. I have tried opening and closing the valves at all zones but the only way I can shut these sprinklers off is to shut the main valve.

I originally thought there was only 2 zones, but power wire for the solenoids left the box at zone 3 and continued and the controller was wired for 3 zones. I used a wire locator to follow it all the way to zone 1 where I was able to dig up the missing zone. This valve had a leak near the solenoid and I tried tightening the solenoid and inadvertently broke it off. I can take pictures when I get some day light again, but I think the entire valve may have to be replaced at this point. The other two zone valves seem to open and close ok manually, but I've yet to start testing solenoids.

I'm trying to figure out what this designer did here. My locator did not find signal beyond zone 1 when locating the wire so I don't believe there is a 4th zone. Surely the designer wouldn't have actually located a third of my sprinklers directly on the main valve? And if so, what is the zone 1 valve doing? Again, before I broke the solenoid off, I didn't notice any changes while manually opening/closing the valve.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out where to go next. I do see 3 pipes entering from below zone 1 so I guess it's possible they went from the main valve all the way to 1 and then back below the garage instead of the way I've drawn it. My guess is I should first replace the zone 1 valve I broke. Maybe it's just leaking all the time allowing zone 1 to always run and making it appear that these sprinklers are attached to the main valve.

Hopefully all this makes sense. Thanks again!

sjl1986

Unregistered

Wednesday, April 27th 2016, 11:10pm

Sorry, the photo link didn't work. In case it doesn't work again, I've copied the direct link too.

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_63095113822[

I fixed your link but it says to log into my account. Go to www.tinypic.com and upload your pic there. Watch the ad and answer the question. Then copy and paste the "forum" code here.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Apr 28th 2016, 3:02am)

sjl1986

Thursday, April 28th 2016, 10:24am

Thanks, I hope this is correct now.

Green circles are spigots, black circles are pop-up sprinklers, red is the main valve. Main valve, & zones 2 and 3 are located in the back yard.

sjl1986

Sunday, May 1st 2016, 1:51pm

From what I can tell, this is the valves I currently have.

http://www.sprinklersupplystore.com/ICV-151G-Hunter-ICV-Series-1-5-inch-Valve-p/icv151g.htm

Can anyone tell me if it's necessary to replace this with another 1.5 inch valve? These seem to be commercial grade and about 5-6 times more expensive than a typical 1 inch valve. I think It's only running about 5 sprinklers right now. Can I just reduce my pipes it to 1 inch to save the cost?

I'd like to eventually expand my system to cover my entire front yard (currently it only covers about half). How can I figure out the max number of sprinklers I can place on a zone and will reducing my valve to 1 inch hinder expansion?

Thanks for any help!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 1st 2016, 4:17pm

Can you describe your supply plumbing for us? Size of water meter and its location. Size of house supply line. Size of supply line to sprinklers system. Size and type of backflow preventer.

sjl1986

Tuesday, May 3rd 2016, 5:27pm

I failed to mention that I'm running off of a deep well located about 50 feet from my pressure tank & zone 2 & 3 at the garage.

From what I can tell I may have overestimated the size (1.5) before based on the outside wall of the pipe.

It looks like there is a 1.25 inch pipe feeding the pressure tank from the well and a 1.25 inch pipe leaves the tank to the main shut off valve. Immediately following the first shut off valve is a T where a 3/4 inch pipe goes into the ground. I can only assume this is my water for the house. Immediately after the T is another shut off valve with a 1.25 inch pipe going to the sprinkler system.

Each sprinkler valve has a 1.25 inch supply line. Spigots fed by the sprinkler system have 3/4 supply lines.

I do not see any type of backflow preventer. The home supply and sprinkler supply are 2 inches apart split only by a T and additional shut off valve.

Here are some pictures for reference

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 3rd 2016, 8:24pm

I would say you have one-inch plumbing, since one-inch PVC pipe is a bit more than 1-1/4 inches in diameter.

You really need a proper backflow preventer to isolate the sprinkler system from potable water. If you are on flat ground, that could be a pressure vacuum breaker (PVB) - don't cheap out on this.

sjl1986

Tuesday, May 10th 2016, 1:12am

Well the PVC actually measures closer to 1-3/4 diameter on the outside. I measured quite a few times and compared to a piece I had that was cut. Also the main valve says 1-1/4 on it. I've been busy with work, but when I get time I'll dig up and cut the broken valve out so I'll know for sure.

I just learned about the need for backflow preventers. Obviously whoever installed this system had no idea what they were doing. I will certainly be installing a preventer before using the system. Thanks for the heads up and sorry for delay. I thought I'd get email notifications when someone responds to my post, but doesn't appear I've got that working right.

Rate this thread