You are not logged in.

amopower

Unregistered

Monday, April 25th 2016, 6:05pm

Two pumps better than one?

Hi, I luckily have two separate well pumps and wells. They are each only used for irrigation nowadays. Would I be able to join the output of each with a wye, in order to gain more flow? They each have a hard time keeping up when the irrigation is turned on, but I am thinking if they are both working together, I would have no flow issues.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 26th 2016, 11:29am

You would need check valves to isolate the wells from each other, but aside from that, you might get the results you are looking for.

There is a more rigorous version of this multiple-well idea. Instead of interconnecting the low-producing wells, they flow into a storage tank from above, and the storage tank is pumped into the sprinkler system. That allows the wells to run 24/7 if need be, and for the sprinkler-system pump to use as much water as it needs from the storage tank.

amopower

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 26th 2016, 10:07pm

Ah ok that's a good idea about the storage tank. So you are saying i would still need a check valve, even if I wyed the output pipes together? How could anything flow backwards to either output side anyway, is that even possible?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 28th 2016, 6:51pm

Water flows anywhere it has a chance. If a well pump is controlled by a pressure switch, for one example, you certainly do not give another well the opportunity to deliver water pressure to the first well's pressure switch. If you can't afford two check valves.....