You are not logged in.




Tuesday, April 26th 2016, 5:45pm

Rainbird ESP possibly faulty/fried

I'm trying to identify the source of 4 zones not coming up electronically from the controller. This system has 24 total zones, split between two ESP's mounted side by side in a garage. In the first controller, zones 8, 9, 10, and 11 did not come up. Thought it may be a bad module, but #11 is on a separate module and zone 12 is working next to it.

Multimeter readings for all 4 faulty zones are reading OL, haven't gone through all the valve boxes yet to manually identify the valves but that is on the list to do. There are two reasons I'm thinking the controller may be bad or there is a wiring issue with the 4 bad zones because it is very unusual for 4 consecutive zones to have solenoids fail at once.

Another suspicion is the fact that the seasonal adjustment is reading 103%, and when bumped down goes to 93%. I've never seen this before, as it only allows for increments of 10% (90%, 100%, etc.) Also, when I put the multimeter on all of the zones in controller 1, the numbers were jumping all over the place on the other stations.

I plan on trying two things at the controller to possibly narrow down the problem: 1) Put a wire from a good zone on one of the bad ones and see what the result is 2) Connect a Hunter ProC to one of the bad zones, wire the common and plug into the wall and see what happens at the bad valves.

Any other suggestions or has anyone run into similar issues?



Posts: 2,013

Location: USA


Tuesday, April 26th 2016, 10:02pm

The common wire probably came loose somewhere or was cut on the four faulty valves.




Wednesday, April 27th 2016, 6:12pm


I'm not going to be back at this customer until probably next week, but I will keep the common wire theory in mind. Thanks for the suggestion and if anything else comes to mind, please feel free to send it along. Cheers!




Wednesday, April 27th 2016, 8:33pm


The more I think about it, the more I think you are spot on. I didn't identify the valve box yet because it started to pour and there were 8 heads that had blown wiper seals and I had to create a return work order. I plan on finding the problem valves, spinning them manually, then checking and re-wiring the common connection at the box. Every box I did open had 4 valves so it would logically mean that this box has a bad common connection, or there is a break between the controller and the box.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction, I'll let you know the result after I return to the property to troubleshoot.

Rate this thread