You are not logged in.

Monday, March 28th 2016, 8:58am

drip system may burn up my well pump?

I am building a new back yard and i have used local nurseries and irrigation companies for design suggestions. However i was told that there was no way to run drip off of my well because my pump would kick on and off and it would result in a burnt up pump. the suggestion was to purchase a storage tank and additional pump for my drip irrigation witch would more than double the cost of my irrigation system that i have put in for the lawn so far. any insight on creative ways to bypass another pump and tank would save me a ton of money and would be very appreciated thank you.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, March 28th 2016, 5:38pm

Buy the tank and pressure switch. That is a minimum. Why a second pump would be needed is not apparent from what you have posted.

Monday, March 28th 2016, 6:31pm

wet boots are you talking just a storage tank not another bladder?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 29th 2016, 7:49am

Describe the existing setup, please. It might be possible to keep what you already have, and install a different sort of drip system to match.

Tuesday, March 29th 2016, 9:43am

well setup

I have a 40 GPM 3 HP submersible well pump & motor set on 2" drop pipe. it includes a 315 Gallon pressure tank and operates on a 40/60 pressure switch setting. the current manifold i have built for my grass that i will be putting in this month is all 1 1/4 line off the tank. the drip will be watering approx 30-40 shrubs and four new maple trees. I appreciate your interest and help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 29th 2016, 10:35am

You might be better off going "old school" with sprays and bubblers to use the entire well output in a single zone to cover the new plantings. It's more expensive than emitter tubing, but the old way of watering shrubs and trees is far more durable than any form of drip.

If your well output is 40 gpm, you want to pay attention to your pipe and valve sizes, so that you can have pipe runs as long as you require, without losing too much pressure. When in doubt, go up a notch in size, especially if you have acreage to cover.

Tuesday, March 29th 2016, 11:20am

thank you i was considering that. i really appreciate you sharing your knowledge!
:thumbsup: