You are not logged in.

wrhjr1

Starting Member

Monday, June 22nd 2015, 5:33pm

Best Sprinkler controllers out there - Replace broken Hunter PC-300

Hello,

I recently went through a nasty flood and have been rebuilding my home over the past year. I am finally getting time to address my sprinkler system and found my Hunter PC-300 broken. I have been complimenting getting it fixed but as it only cost a moderate amount it may be better to get a new one. As I look around on the web to find one I realize that there are many options. Thats where my question comes from. I have a single residence with a small to medium yard. I would only need 3 or so zones and it doesnt need to be anything complicated. Just a reliable, simple to use model. I have seen some old threads but I am looking for a current evaluation of the current market.

So my questions are:
What is the arguable best brand currently?
Any top options?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 23rd 2015, 12:06pm

I'd stick with the Hunter brand controller. It's all I install unless something else is requested. Sometimes I'll install exactly what the homeowner has simply because they don't want to learn anything new or they act like they're not capable of learning.

The new Pro-C will be a 4 station expandable or you can get the Pro-C conventional as a 6 station to suit your needs.

The x-core is also a good controller. It costs less than the Pro-C and just as reliable. You'll need good eyes to see the display with the xc.

Rainbird also has excellent controllers. I'd stay away from Orbit or Toro. I do have quite a few customers who have the newer Orbit controllers though. They find it easy to use unlike the mind bending Toro's. The display on the Orbit is large and easy to see.

If you want to spend less money the Rainbird brand at the Home Depot seems to be a good controller. Easy to set. Works great.

CowboyBagger

Unregistered

Sunday, November 22nd 2015, 12:16pm

Hunter PC-300

I've got a Hunter PC-300 that the LED display is shot on. The one I have has the "+" and "-" buttons on the upper left portion of the faceplate. I've looked on ebay for a replacement, they are showing a PC-300 that is probably a little newer, that doesn't have the buttons I mentioned. Will the newer faceplate work or fit on my older box?

This is the outdoor model. I believe I have 2 or 4 zones.

Thanks,

Cowboy

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, November 23rd 2015, 7:28am

The controller you described is an older version. The function of the now-missing buttons is still available in the newest version, only the pathway for programming it has changed. The PC-400 will work for you.