You are not logged in.

Netcord

Friday, November 6th 2015, 12:07pm

Backflow valve snapped off

Handle has snapped off the horizontal pipe. As a result there is no way to shut off / adjust the flow.
I like to my own diy projects, so am keen to fix myself. I assume I need to replace that whole section....but is this best left to the professionals?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, November 6th 2015, 8:45pm

Backflow preventer "isolation valves" are not used to adjust flow. Full on. Full off. Adjust the flow elsewhere. Ball valve handles can be replaced, but sometimes a new valve is preferable.

Netcord

Tuesday, November 10th 2015, 12:24pm

Backflow preventer "isolation valves" are not used to adjust flow. Full on. Full off. Adjust the flow elsewhere. Ball valve handles can be replaced, but sometimes a new valve is preferable.

Thank you Wet Boots...
I guess I'm a little confused now. I can't tell if the broken valve is open or closed. All I know is that there is water getting to the heads... but just not enough to make them rise up! Nothing else has been tampered with.
I assume I'll need a new valve... is it the kind of job an average DIYer can do, or is it best left to the experts?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Netcord" (Nov 10th 2015, 2:27pm)

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Wednesday, November 11th 2015, 2:25pm

If you can sweat copper pipe it is a fairly easy job. Just break the joint or cut the pipe after the backflow, spin the old valve off, spin the new valve on and repair the pipe/joint. In some areas codes may require special licensing to do repairs on backflows. Also you will want to try to use the same kind of valve.

Rate this thread