You are not logged in.

aerodan1

Thursday, September 17th 2015, 6:28pm

Got it, thanks!
You can attach the wire to the chain that holds the grip. I usually thread it through 2 or 3 links and then back upon itself.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 17th 2015, 7:21pm

If you are pulling poly pipe, then the design is subject to radical change. Piping isn't laid out as per the diagram. The heads remain as is, but the dots connect differently. When you are pulling pipe, you don't do any crossovers unless there is no choice. You would also lose at least one valve location, zones 5 and 6, which join the large valve group upstream.

aerodan1

Thursday, September 17th 2015, 8:58pm

Thank you for the response. The large vavle manifold upstream would just be two valves (7 and one drip zone). I also have moved various heads from one zone to another from the referenced design (and also took out a couple of extra heads that aren't needed). Right now there's only 3 heads on zone 6 totaling 6.5 gpm, I could move the half circle head at the bottom of the "blue" zone (zone 7) to zone 6 to avoid crossing the main running to zones 5/6 with the lateral on zone 7.

I figure I will still have to cross the lateral / main on zone 1 in two spots, zones 3 and 4 in one spot each, and then cross laterals in two spots for zones 8 / 9. I could run the mains at 12 inches and then laterals at 8 inches where they cross if this would work. Thanks

If you are pulling poly pipe, then the design is subject to radical change. Piping isn't laid out as per the diagram. The heads remain as is, but the dots connect differently. When you are pulling pipe, you don't do any crossovers unless there is no choice. You would also lose at least one valve location, zones 5 and 6, which join the large valve group upstream.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 17th 2015, 9:40pm

Try a freehand design. Mark and identify the heads. Then draw in the zone piping freehand, in away where you try to never cross the mainline. Remember that the electrical cable is more expensive than the poly pipe, so you can use more poly if it saves on wire.

aerodan1

Saturday, September 19th 2015, 7:21pm

I bought 500 ft. of 18-7 wire, will just use that for the whole yard, should be more than enough.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 20th 2015, 11:15am

Avoiding crossovers sometimes means hand-digging a crossover pipe, so the mainline will run on a path where any hand-dug crossover point is near a head or a junction where you would be digging anyway.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 27th 2015, 10:11am

I bought 500 ft. of 18-7 wire, will just use that for the whole yard, should be more than enough.
Since you definitely have more than enough wire, you gain flexibility in valve locations. One factor not yet mentioned here is distance between manifolds, as it affects wire that is pulled. You can benefit by keeping any such spacing less than a hundred feet. Any flexible wire or pipe is slightly stressed by pulling with a plow, and the longer the pull, the greater the stress. A valve box gives you space to leave some slack in the chain of wiring.

aerodan1

Friday, October 2nd 2015, 11:13pm

One of the wiring runs ended up about 100 feet, maybe a little longer, but the rest were shorter. The guys who pulled the pipe for me worked with me to minimize any crossovers; as it was, they ended up hitting the existing poly on two pulls, so had to redo a few pulls and also some hand digging on a few crossovers where the pipe was at or near the surface. Definitely saw your point about avoiding crossovers firsthand! Thanks
Since you definitely have more than enough wire, you gain flexibility in valve locations. One factor not yet mentioned here is distance between manifolds, as it affects wire that is pulled. You can benefit by keeping any such spacing less than a hundred feet. Any flexible wire or pipe is slightly stressed by pulling with a plow, and the longer the pull, the greater the stress. A valve box gives you space to leave some slack in the chain of wiring.

Rate this thread