You are not logged in.

Thursday, September 24th 2015, 9:52am

1st Zone ALWAYS ON, even when controller is de-energized

Greetings,

Home owner for just over a year. Previously had issues with Zone 1 not working, other zones were fine, so I ignored it. About a week or so ago, with the system shut off, we noticed water leaking out of the Zone 1 valves. I unplugged the controller, still leaking. All I could do to stop it was close the system supply valve. Decided today to turn on the sprinklers. Zone 1 worked like a charm... then Zone 2's turn came up, Zone 1 was still on, with Zone 2 significantly depressurized. Zone 2 & 3 are in close proximity to 1, so I thought maybe when it gets to the back yard it'll settle in. I was wrong. Zone 4 was depressurized as Zone 1 stayed on. When I shut off the controller, Zone 1 resumes full blast again. Went back to main supply and closed the valve... awaiting suggestions. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 24th 2015, 10:22am

the faulty zone valve needs repaired or replaced - you already ruled out a controller issue, and are left with a mechanical issue(s) in the valve

Thursday, September 24th 2015, 1:30pm

That sounds like the logical fix Wet_Boots. Okay so forgive me for my ignorance, but the valve you're referring to is obviously different from the "sprinkler heads" right? I'm now arriving to the conclusion that each zone is controlled by a valve that outputs to the 'x' number of heads within the zone. So, next question: where can I find the Zone Valve(s). FYI when we bought the house the sprinkler system was already installed, which is pretty much why I know jack squat about the system, but I really appreciate everyone's tips and advice on here.

Evergreen Sprinkler

Friday, September 25th 2015, 9:42am

The valves will usually be in a plastic valve box in the ground. You will have an electric valve for every zone on your clock. Once you find valve you can repair or replace it. You can search on youtube for a how to video. It sounds like a bad diaphragm if the valve is sticking open. That is a pretty easy fix.

Rate this thread