You are not logged in.

djorkaef

Unregistered

Saturday, September 12th 2015, 1:19pm

Hunter I20 remove check valve for winterization?

Dear,

I had a good deal on a box of Hunter I-20 sprinklers and am at the point of installing 14 of them on a flat surface.
My lateral piping has a drain valve installed for winterizing.
Now I see that the I20 comes with a check valve to keep the water from coming out.

Would that mean I need to disassemble all 14 rotors every winter, twist them out and get the water out?
That sound very annoying because sand will drop into the pipes etc.

Do you think I will be able to completely remove the I20 drain check valves before installing the sprinklers?
I saw some picture of these (Hunter part # 142300) but I cannot figure out whether I can safely remove them.

If they are not removeable, I assume blowing out the system each winter is my only alternative?

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Joris

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, September 12th 2015, 6:31pm

You can use some Hunter tools to raise the heads, at which point they can drain. Draining a system manually only works if you can pitch the pipe to a drain point(s) and depend on that slope enduring over time.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Monday, September 14th 2015, 4:22pm

You can easily pull the check valves out. Just make sure to reinstall the filter. Are there drains under the heads, or at least at low points? If not, pulling the check valves may not make much of a difference.

Rate this thread