You are not logged in.

Lock

Unregistered

Saturday, August 29th 2015, 9:07pm

Flow Switch

I have a 1.5 HP Flotech with a pressure switch to power on/off the pump. However, my pump is cycling on/off too often and I would like to power the pump on (pump running continuous) whenever the water flows; i.e., whenever either the valves open for the lawn, or the spigot is open. I assume that a Water Flow Switch could do the job, but not sure.

Any recommendations on a power switch that will turn the pump on when water flow is detected? I would use a pump relay, but I have a few spigots tied to the system and are needed.

Lock

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 30th 2015, 11:07am

You need more than a flow switch. There are pump controllers that combine flow and pressure sensing with circuitry to make sense of it all. They cost hundreds of dollars. For spending in that price range, you might be better off with a pressure switch and a pressure tank. A simple anti-cycling valve can be added to these components, and the pressure tank can then be tiny one.

Lock

Unregistered

Sunday, August 30th 2015, 11:31am

Follow Up

Is there a power switch for the pump that will turn it on when; 1. Any of the lawn valves open, or 2. when the spigot is on? It currently has a pressure switch (20-40psi) with 3 gallon air tank. When the Sprinkler timers opens the valves sometimes it will cycle on/off, other times it will not shut off.....however, if I can have it 1. come on and run continuously while either the spigot is open or valves open (water flow detected) and 2. shut off when there is no water flow detected that would set the conditions.

Thanks for the feedback,

Lock

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 30th 2015, 7:14pm

The simplest remedy is a bigger pressure tank. All you have to do is buy it and plumb it into place. If you can handle more complicated plumbing and wiring, then you can look at installing a Cycle-Stop Valve. They will let a pump run constantly at a set pressure that is lower than your pump shut-off pressure. As for a flow switch you can plug a pump into, no go, they are sensors that connect to other electronics that handle pump operation.

Lock

Unregistered

Wednesday, September 2nd 2015, 7:21pm

CSV

Wetboots, thanks for the data. What do you recommend for a Cycle Stop Valve? Given; 1.5 hp pump, with 20-40PSI pressure switch....I'm looking to maintain a constant 30 PSI.

Thanks,

Lock

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 2nd 2015, 10:33pm

The CSV of the sort without a great pressure loss has 40 psi as the lowest available set pressure. They are not adjustable pressures. That means your pump would have to be capable of running on a 30-50 pressure switch setting, or at least something higher than the CSV pressure as a cutoff, so that it can stop cycling.