You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

sijaz

Tuesday, August 11th 2015, 12:25am

Hunter Pro C - sprinkler comes on and off every few seconds

I've searched the forum and seen this same issue posted a couple of times many years ago but no answers. Here's the issue:

Hunter Sprinkler system with Pro-C controller and 9 zones. The same issue occurs with each of the zone one after another (15 min time per zone).

1. System turns on, sprinklers for Zone 1 pop up and water for a few seconds
2. The Sprinklers retract and watering stops for couple of seconds
3. Then the sprinklers pop up and water for few seconds then retract for a few seconds
4. This occurs repeatedly until 15min are up then same thing occurs to next zone and next until all 9 zones are done.

Any idea what could this be? I have tried to reset the Pro-C controller, reseated the modules, switched sensor switch off, etc. When I start each station manually, the problem does NOT occur -- only occurs in timer mode.

My theory is bad controller. Any other ideas or testing before I spent $150 on a new box?

mrfixit

Tuesday, August 11th 2015, 3:33am

Are you turning the valves on manually at the controller? Or are you going out to the valves and turning them on manually.
It sounds like you're turning them on at the controller so I'll go with that.

If it works just fine manually but not during the scheduled program I'd say the controller's bad.
Replacing the faceplate should fix you up.
Just for the heck of it make sure the ribbon on the back of the faceplate is plugged in all the way.

sijaz

Tuesday, August 11th 2015, 7:16am

I am turning them on manually at the controller. They work fine in that mode. What is the difference between replacing just the faceplate ($50) vs. the entire controller ($150)? Is it mainly that the modules are reused? Are the "brains" of the system that may be causing this problem contained in the faceplate section?

Thanks for the help.

mrfixit

Tuesday, August 11th 2015, 2:35pm

I'm 99% sure just changing the faceplate will work. I'm really 100% sure but I need an out just in case.

If you have doubts then go ahead and replace the whole unit.

The differences are pretty much what you've stated. You'll have a brand new controller if you replace the whole thing. Maybe some peace of mind.

You could always buy a Hunter PCC1200 and you wont need modules at all. My only complaint with the new design of the PCC is if you don't have any play in the length of the timer wires they wont reach. You'll need an extra 3 inches or so. Other than that it's a great controller. Apparently they don't make the 9 station anymore.

Rate this thread