You are not logged in.

HerbM

Starting Member

Sunday, August 2nd 2015, 8:59pm

Considerations for replacing sprinkler heads (just purchased home)

Our new house (20 years old but new to us) has a system but it needs work.

Controller operates. Water comes on and zones cycle (at least in front) but heads are broken and/or missing.

Obvious questions include, determining what size and brand to replace existing heads -- all I know at the moment is that the front yard had plastic inserts about the diameter of garden hose, with external springs and a top about the size of a hose fitting -- the one I have goes into the pipe but want stay down or secure apparently.

Some are missing.

Back yard has stand up pipes which seem to have small nozzles fitted to the top end. (Back yard is small and these seem to be in the gardens probably with 180 degree sprays but back yard doesn't work because (our) dogs got to the wiring in the backyard controllers.

I need to figure out how to rewire/replace those (2) controllers and fix the front heards. Plus find a manual for a Irritrol RD 900 controller.

What I am looking for are pointers to the best tutorials (here or elsewhere) or general strategies to go about learning how to make the repaires -- I am NOT expecting anyone to give me step by step instructions from such a sketchy overview.

How do I learn enough to get this fixed myself?

(Yes, I can afford to hire someone but partly I just want to fix it myself.)

Thanks in advance....

--
HerbM

mrfixit

Monday, August 3rd 2015, 6:36pm

Hi Herb,

Here's an excellent site to answer your questions.
http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/

The best way to learn is by doing. Good luck to you!

Rate this thread